Ref; Jasmine Rice and mixed berries summer sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 19, 2018
Neenah WI
In relation to another thread where some one was looking for recipe for Minnesota Summer Sausage; a blueberry and wild rice summer sausage. Here we go!

So, I remembered at one point, I had a blood sausage with raisins in it, and then went to look up a basic riced blood sausage recipe for the protein to rice ratio. They used roughly 20 ounds of blood for 1/2 cup rice. Along with a full cup of raisins. Now I had dried mixed berries <Cranberry. Cherries, blue berries>. Not a full cup worth, originally I thought it would be far to much. I ended up adding enough to basically top this off to about a cup of berries total. <I am horrible at exact measuring>.

Now I just picked up a LEM Backwoods summer sausage seasoning and cure packet for 5 USD just to save time and see if I liked it. <I was disappointed with my summer sausage using turkey, to me it was a bit bland, but that might just be the turkey>. To this I added a sprinkle of whole mustard seed and some red pepper. Dried fruits tend to be sweet, I figured why not. Also experimental time. Again sorry, no exact measurements..

With this I added ~1/2 cup of rice, hard to get exact measurements with out making a compact sticky mess <Jasmine rice is sticky, very fragrant. I didn't want to sit it in the fridge overnight, which is the ideal method for making it less sticky.> So this recipe sort of veered into more of Korean Sundae territory I suppose. <Sundae is Korean blood sausage, very heavily riced. Infact, some styles more rice then blood.>

I've combined it, and it is in the fridge sitting as the casings soaked. I waited to soak my casings as I wasn't sure if I'd get close to 2 pounds or not. I did. <I'm using LEM non edible collagen, the red ones. Can I just let these dry out and restore them after I soak them? I have a feeling I'll end up needing more then two just as a precaution>.

I plan to stuff the casings tonight and give them over night in the fridge, then smoke them, so really only 12-16 hours of fridge time. At this point I want to make it look right and be edible. I don't actually know what the Original sausage tasted like.

Here is a link to the original product I saw online- https://louiesfinermeats.com/product/minnesota-sausage-1-lb/

And here is to my google album where I put little notes on the pictures some times- https://photos.app.goo.gl/B15Qi2U9SEU2BXUr7

Things I will update people on-
*I used slightly less then the called for water amount because I used fresh blue berries. No problems making a slurry, but if it's super dryish to the touch, I'll add a touch more liquid. Maybe few splashes of maple syrup because Wisconsinite here.

*If it's to liquidy after sitting for 2 hours in my fridge, I do have extra rice I can add in.

*I plan to rehand mix this before stuffing, just to go through and get any clumps of dried berries broken up; this might not want to go through my jerky gun's lil tube. Shouldn't be a problem with a proper stuffer, which I won't have till Saturday earliest.

Last but not least a picture of the Korean Sundae- http://flashpackatforty.com/wp-cont...ood-sausage-yukhoe-kwangjang-market-seoul.jpg So you can see how riced it is..

Next update in an hour or two as I check on my casings and do another stir and break up any berries :)

Attachments

• 20180712_201619.jpg
    20180712_201619.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 20180712_201630.jpg
    20180712_201630.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20180712_201632.jpg
    20180712_201632.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 9
Having now stuffed two casings and fried up a test bit from the scraps I can confirm this is not a recipe to shoot through a jerky gun. Had the screw on ends pop off a few times when stuffing.

As you can see from the test patty, this is heavily riced, which may not work well. I am now worried when I go to smoke the sausage it'll end up falling apart when I uncase it.

On the other hand, I did make it have a nice bit of heat with mustard seed and some red pepper flakes. The bits of fruit are truly amazing in this. If all else, this might very well be a good breakfast sausage.

Here's the few pictures and here is me hoping this sausage turns out like a summer sausage and not crumbling.

Attachments

• 20180712_220632.jpg
    20180712_220632.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20180712_220954.jpg
    20180712_220954.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20180712_220957.jpg
    20180712_220957.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: zippy12
It just doesn't sound appealing to me.
But I have eaten many things that didn't sound good, but turned out to be awesome.
So I'm hoping that this would be the same.
It sure looks good!
Al

It just doesn't sound appealing to me.
But I have eaten many things that didn't sound good, but turned out to be awesome.
So I'm hoping that this would be the same.
It sure looks good!
Al
I think the sausage is more of a novelty thing. Wild Rice, blueberries. Though like I said, the fry test taste was good. I like berries, and we got raspberries in our yard. Which makes me think if I can get this to work, I might do a few pounds of raspberry-chipotle or the like. My uncle's property he has a trailer on is flooded with blackberries, don't need to tell you I'd do the same for them.

I'm uploading pictures now of my chubs going on the smoker, and the back bacon I began today. If my phone would move a bit faster!

Here we go! Smoking time! I'm doing Disco's directions for how he smokes his summer sausage, that came out great last time. They sat in the fridge for ~14 hours or so before going on the smoker. I decided to use apple wood, since A: I have a bag of apple pellets that is almost gone..and two... well. Fruit flavours being imparted was sort of in theme.

Attachments

• 20180713_124803.jpg
    20180713_124803.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20180713_124800.jpg
    20180713_124800.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 7
So I got hungry and couldn't wait longer...6 hours off the smoker and all and I cut a bit of the summer sausage off a chub..

Unless things change drastically by sitting longer, which I don't suspect it will, this sausage goes in the tinker with recipe bin. I over riced it. Also the berries some what hydrated, which surprised me a bit. <Also might be part of the problem? Dried fruit rehydrating>.

So I would increase the total amount of meat used to 1.5 pounds maybe? Not sure. Tastes good, infact, now that it has been smoked...the fruit flavours are more pronounced. You could easily run this up a few more degrees in the heat area I'd think. More black pepper at least if you wanted. Not sure what to label this as now!

Taste: Awesome!
Consistency: Back to the work bench, but hopefully this helps the guy wondering about 'Minnesota Summer Sausage' get an idea of where to start his experiments.

Attachments

• 20180714_002230.jpg
    20180714_002230.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 7
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky