Red Snapper Mardi Gras over spaghettini pasta with French bread and stawberry shortcake for Dessert

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
So...it is lent. And South Louisiana is a strong Catholic region. So we pulled out some red snapper this past friday. I may have posted this up before...it is a favorite dish around here. The colors of Mardi Gras are Purple, green, and gold; so the sauce uses purple onion, sweet corn and petite English peas.

The Fish:

First season the fish with lemon pepper and cajun seasoning...butterfly any thick pieces so you have roughly 1/2" fillets.
IMG_20210305_175106.jpg

Pan fry in olive oil and butter, then remove to greased sheet pan in 200*F oven to reserve warm while you boil the pasta and make the sauce.

The Sauce:

Saute' the purple onion 2-3 minutes over medium heat, them add shrimp and lemon zest, saute' 4-5 minutes. Next add the mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes. Fold in the corn and peas, then add sriracha sauce. cook another 5 minutes.
IMG_20210305_180208.jpg

Next, add the white wine and lemon juice, then reduce by 1/2 volume.
IMG_20210305_181139.jpg

IMG_20210305_181809.jpg

Then add the cream:
IMG_20210305_181800.jpg

IMG_20210305_181915.jpg

Cook over med. high heat until sauce thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and finish the sauce with butter:
27400474022363.jpg

Check seasoning and adjust with Black pepper, salt and garlic powder to taste. And it's time to serve. Place pieces of fish over pasta and spoon sauce over top. Can garnish with more lemon zest if desired. Serve with warm french bread and a bottle of Savignon Blanc...
IMG_20210305_183341.jpg

Last edited:
Looks delicious! I'd give up meat on Friday for a plateful of that!

Ryan

Love NE Clam chowder so that looks good to me. Nice job
Richie
Thanks Richie. Speaking of which, this is a very Rich dish! 4 cups of cream and 1 cup of butter in the sauce! But the sauce is enough to feed 12...or 8 hungry firemen.....

Very Nice, Snapper is diffidently the way to go
Yep. Gotta make room inda freezer so we can go catch more this summer when snapper season opens!

Heck yeah bud that looks delicious!
Thanks Jake! Been a while since I have cooked it, and it was just as I remember it!

Looks delicious! I'd give up meat on Friday for a plateful of that!

Ryan
Yeah...it doesn't really feel like a sacrifice with a meal like that....

All Looks Great, Inda!!!
However I can't find the Strawberry Shortcake!!
Like.

Bear
Thanks Bear! LOL!! They started cutting it before I could snap any pics! Figured I better get me a serving before it disappeared!! LOL!! It's strawberry season here in Louisiana and they are coming in pretty good. Here is the recipe I use:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/strawberry-shortcake-cake-2371535

Best recipe I know of...it is REALLY GOOD!

I cooked with the wine, and since I don't work @ the firehouse, I drank a glass with my meal. If my cousin was not on shift, he would drink a glass too.

No, the acid from the lemon juice and the wine help to keep the shrimp soft.

Wow Keith, that looks fantastic buddy!! Just a potpourri of flavors and ingredients. I bet that was really good. Nice job sir!!

Robert

Beautiful.. I could almost taste it thru my monitor... :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
Thanks jax!

Nice
The picture of the snapper frying looks right some good....Mmmmmmm
David
Thanks DRK, was hard not to steal a bite while smelling the fillets frying!

Wow Keith, that looks fantastic buddy!! Just a potpourri of flavors and ingredients. I bet that was really good. Nice job sir!!

Robert
Thanks Robert! It's a good dish and makes the rotation...usually during lent.

That is one fine looking meal my friend!
Nicely done!
Al
Thanks Al. And thank you for the surprise Carousel ride...

This looks incredible Keith!
Thanks Rob! It's a good recipe!

As I was scrolling through the progression of picture, I was wondering where it was going...it is going on my "must have this meal" list!

Looks fabamundo Inda.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky