Recommendations on restoring smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chimaira

Original poster
Jul 4, 2021
So I was given I smoker by my uncle, my first one. I was very excited to get started and was told that I’d need to burn it out first. So, I built up a large fire in the smoker and let it burn out for a few hours.

I started noticing that the smoker was burning up the grass and wanted to make sure it didn’t spread so I sprayed some water around on the ground and some splashed on the smoker. The water caused the smokers paint to just wash off and this started worrying me.

This is where I likely made a mistake. I freaked as the fire seemed to be causing the paint all over to bubble off. And so I put out the fire to avoid additional possible issues. I looked all over the place and can’t seem to find anything about burning out an old smoker.

I’m not sure if I need to finish burning it out, allow the paint to come off and refinish it. Or did I ruin it? About half the paint is off at this point.

Finish the burn. Then you have scraping and sanding to prep for a proper stove black type finish. Whatever was on it was not heat rated, or was not prepped underneath before application. At this point just start over with the black. Burn off all that will burn first.

Welcome to the forum China it's, you came to the right place.
I would do as SmokinEdge advises. Pics would be very helpful.
Again, welcome.

Finish the burn. Then you have scraping and sanding to prep for a proper stove black type finish. Whatever was on it was not heat rated, or was not prepped underneath before application. At this point just start over with the black. Burn off all that will burn first.
I’ll do that for sure then. Thanks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky