Recommendations for a new 40" MES please!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

husker3in4

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Feb 24, 2015
I have a couple older 30" MES. a 1st gen and a 2nd gen. both worth ok but I am looking at potentially upgrading to a 40" with blue tooth as it would be nice to monitor temps and such from my phone.

I know there are a few models out there, can any of you recommend one from experience or knowledge?

Also, do any of the models allow the bluetooth to use wifi so I can monitor from my phone anywhere I am (work etc).

I’ve got the latest and greatest 40” from Sam’s club. Bluetooth only, but if you hook it to an in-range device you can share with your phone that also has a network connection (like an IPad), you can talk to it remotely. Don’t trust the provided meat thermometer though...

Last edited:
Reactions: sm0kin
I wouldn’t encourage this to be blatantly honest, the probes are not accurate enough. I have also read here the Bluetooth is not all that good either. With that said, I currently have an MES 140S with an Auber WiFi pid controller. It works incredibly well and holds temps within 5 degrees regardless of outdoor temps. It wasn’t cheap, but the pid can be used on anything (I tried sous vide with a crockpot) and it is consistent to 1 degree.
There are other options on WiFi thermometers, but I think you will spend about as much for those as you would the Auber.
https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=702

I bought my nephew a bluetooth MES-40, 2 Christmases back and he loves it. I have used the MES 40 RF for 6 or 7 years and once I found a good one (I was getting the QVC rejects trying to save money, yes its the perfect avatar) This year is the first time I have had problems and my problems are my own fault. LOL

LOL..... I think we'll all agree that MES's temp. devices would receive a less than favorable sterling reputation. Its why we all use seperate ones, I personally prefer the Maverick. I like simple, a digital printout with a graphic display .... who cares? LOL Mine simply says what the temp is and alarms when it gets where I want it. I have some that say when the temp drops to low, I never used it. It is nice to have two probes so I can see the box temp as well as the meat temp, but after you get used to your smoker I don't need it. I figure I can buy a cheap Maverick, and if I need a new one I have not lost anything, oddly it was about 20 years on the first one.

Remember the cavemen smoked meat and they didn't even have the internet. The more horns whistles and lights you hook up, the more you are exposing to the possibility of failure and they ain't cheap.

Oh BTW the reason I don't have bluetooth? I don't own a smart phone or even a cell phone anymore. And I like that way!

I bought my nephew a bluetooth MES-40, 2 Christmases back and he loves it. I have used the MES 40 RF for 6 or 7 years and once I found a good one (I was getting the QVC rejects trying to save money, yes its the perfect avatar) This year is the first time I have had problems and my problems are my own fault. LOL

LOL..... I think we'll all agree that MES's temp. devices would receive a less than favorable sterling reputation. Its why we all use seperate ones, I personally prefer the Maverick. I like simple, a digital printout with a graphic display .... who cares? LOL Mine simply says what the temp is and alarms when it gets where I want it. I have some that say when the temp drops to low, I never used it. It is nice to have two probes so I can see the box temp as well as the meat temp, but after you get used to your smoker I don't need it. I figure I can buy a cheap Maverick, and if I need a new one I have not lost anything, oddly it was about 20 years on the first one.

Remember the cavemen smoked meat and they didn't even have the internet. The more horns whistles and lights you hook up, the more you are exposing to the possibility of failure and they ain't cheap.

Oh BTW the reason I don't have bluetooth? I don't own a smart phone or even a cell phone anymore. And I like that way!

That feature has saved my hide twice when my gfi outlet popped (kids plugged in electric heater on same circuit)
Low temp warning to the rescue.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky