Recipe Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xzebra

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 9, 2013
After many batches of my recipe that I like, it is time to move on and try something different.  So I would like to ask all of you Jerky Lovers - what is your favorite recipe.  I would like to try your best.  Please include temp. and or other tips.

Thanks to all in advance 
thumb1.gif

I made 3 Jerky recipes here a few weeks ago, and the general consensus was the simplest one was the best.

Marinade

3 cups Soy Sauce

1 Cup Brown Sugar

Mix together, let stand for 2 minutes.  Add 1 -2 pounds of meat and let marinate for 3 hour or overnight in an airtight container.  Drain, pat dry, put in smoker.  Do not overlap. Use whatever wood you want.

When I made this I smoked it using a mix of Apple and Hickory wood.  I did it for 3 hours, starting low and raising it to 250 degrees over 3 hours.  Then I took it to my Mr Coffee Dehydrator for the finish.

This is Dehydrator recipe, if you want to not smoke and go all dehydrator, just add 1 cup Liquid Smoke to the marinade and leave the smoker out of this.  Want heat, add Crushed Chili flakes or Cayenne Pepper to the marinade.

Xzebra Good afternoon, well it afternoon here in the Pacific Northwest.

Here is my recipe for beef jerky, I  have also used this recipe for venison jerky and as to date, I have had nothing but RAVE reviews on my jerky.

This is my Marinade for 5 pounds of sliced meat, I slice mine 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick.

5-6 Tbls Morton Tender Quick

3-- 12 oz cans Shasta Cola (not diet)

1/2 cup Soy Sauce

1/2 cup Worstershire sauce

1/2 cup Liquid smoke

2 Tbls course ground black pepper

2 Tbls Granulated Garlic

2 Tbls  Onion powder

2 tsp any hot sauce ( Tapatio, Tabascoe ??)

optional, if you like a pepper taste, sprinkle on some black pepper on the wet meat just before you put it in the smoker.

Put all the sliced meat in the marinade, make sure it is all submerged, put in fridge for at least 12 to 16 hrs, Longer don't hurt a thing. a couple times during this period, stir the meat around to make sure all meat surfaces is in contact with the marinade.

On smoke day I take the meat out of the marinade, I do not rinse, I lay it on my smoker racks, leaving small spaces between the pieces. I place the racks in a pre heated smoker, and smoke untill done, keeping the smoker chamber temp less that 160 degrees, I usually try to maintain about 140 degrees.

Optional, if you like a pepper taste, sprinkle on some black pepper on the wet meat just before you put it in the smoker.

After say about 4 hours, I pull a pice of meat and give it a bend test, somtimes I bite test a piece. The amount of dryness is your choice, I pull mine when I can bend the meat tight, I can see where the meat fiber is just about ready to tear, but not to the point that the meat breaks like a cracker.

Pull the meat out of the smoker when done, spread out on a cookie sheet or tray, let cool and fridge over night. Keep in mind, the jerky will taste much, much better after it has rested for a day or 2 so don't be dissappointed at the taste right out of the smoker.

Please note, I goofed and typed Kosher salt when it should have been Morton Tender Quick, I have made the correction and  hope no one makes a bad batch

Hope you try this< I'm sure you will like it.

Rich-

Last edited:
Rich, That looks like the "Smokey Cola Jerky" recipe that I use. I let mine marinate for 3 days and don't use the liquid smoke. I drain mine and hang from tooth pics in the smoker. I have 6 lbs of venison in the refrigerator that will be smoked tonight when I get home. This is everyones favorite!

Not sure where I got this recipe, I hope i'm not stepping out of bounds by posting it.

I have 26 pounds of sliced meat in marinade right now and will smoke part of it tomorrow and the rest the following day. I like your idea of a longer soak, this will give me a comparison to see how the longer soaked meat is to the shorter.

Looking back at my printed recipes, I see that I got part of this recipe off the internet and did a little tweeking on my own.

Thanls

Rich-

Last edited:
I guess mine is a little different.  But it does taste good.  Found out last night that Coke makes it taste better than Pepsi.  Always used Coke but had Pepsi on hand so I tried it instead.  Not as much flavor. Here is the one we use.  I don't use the chilies but use cayenne pepper instead.

Smoky Cola Jerky (Recipe courtesy Food Network Magazine)

Ingredients

1 cup cola

1/3 cup soy sauce

1/3 cup rice vinegar (not seasoned)

1/4 cup honey

Kosher salt

1 to 2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, coarsely chopped (I use some cayenne pepper)

1 teaspoon smoked paprika

1 teaspoon onion powder

2 pounds boneless beef sirloin (about 1 inch thick)

Directions

Bring the cola, soy sauce, vinegar, honey and 1 tablespoon salt to a simmer in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook,

stirring, until reduced to 1 cup, about 12 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the chipotles, paprika and onion

powder; let cool completely.

Trim the excess fat from the beef and slice on an angle into 1/4-inch-thick strips. Combine the strips and cola mixture in a

resealable plastic bag and shake to coat. Press the air out of the bag, seal and let marinate in the refrigerator at least 24

hours and up to 3 days.

Position a rack in the center of the oven; line the bottom of the oven with foil. (I smoke mine in the smoker)

Drain the meat, discarding the marinade.

Stick a toothpick through the end of each strip of meat. Starting at the back of the oven and working forward, arrange each

piece of meat between the grates of the oven rack so the toothpicks rest on the grates and the meat dangles below (do not

let the meat touch the rack). Alternately, cook the beef in a dehydrator according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Heat the oven to 200 degrees F. Bake until the jerky is dry but still bendable, 2 to 3 hours. Carefully remove from the oven

and remove the toothpicks. Let cool completely. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky