Really small gas unit to compliment my Kamado

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tiger1964

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 19, 2020
Seabrook, MD
As much as I like my Kamado, it's a commitment of time & effort to load, heat the charcoal, etc. when, instead of a long, slow smoke, I just want some brats or satay (only two people in our household). I'll confess that sometimes I tell my wife to just cook them indoors. :emoji_astonished::emoji_astonished: Admittedly, not much smoking going in in what I intend, but a small tabletop or camping-friendly gas grill of the type that uses plumbing-torch propane canisters seems ideal. Anyone keep such a thing handy and, if so, what model? Reading other topics, I see a lot of discussion... of larger units than I'll need for this purpose. Ideally, something small enough to put away in a drawer when not in use (I'd like to avoid developing a Raichlen-style forest of grills on my patio!) Like any other purchase, optimized factors like cost and durability are important too.

As Jim mentioned, Coleman.
Also, check out the Weber Q series with the various models for tabletop or cart style.

Might not fit in a cabinet but was considering this for daughter but they just bought a house of their own .
Saw one at Ace a couple of months ago.
I believe they also have an electric model.

Thanks for great input! :emoji_thumbsup:

That looks tailor-made for my needs -- plenty of poor reviews but those are mostly about non-inclusion of accessories or the cover shown in photos but not included. I do not need either. Some of the other grills look interesting too. Including doing an Amazon search, I can spend $50 to $150 or so.

It occurs to me that I do own a Colesman tabletop camping stove, 2-burner -- and a grill pan for the kitchen range. So, I could do a proof-of-concept test (I presume using my existing equipment might mean longer heat-up times) to see if I like the results, before investing. Hmm, what's in the freezer I can thaw and grill? :emoji_imp:

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
Might not fit in a cabinet but was considering this for daughter but they just bought a house of their own .
Saw one at Ace a couple of months ago.
I believe they also have an electric model.
Looks good to me too! And these have a stainless steel "grill grates" style of cooking racks as well. I find that a big plus, but some hate the clean-up.
I'm not seeing the propane model on the products part of the company website (only in "support") so hope it hasn't been discontinued. (Per an Amazon review, there was a recall on earlier models due to the igniter design.)
I'm only seeing the gas model in black. The red electric looks awfully sharp, but a lot of complaints about the 30 minute warm-up time that the electrics appear to need. (The electrics appear directed to condo/apt folks with strict rules against open-flame cooking.)
Lowe's has a pretty good deal on these.

My vote goes to the Weber Q, but they are kinda pricey, and the Weber Go Anywhere will do anything the Q will do at a much cheaper price point.

As much as I like my Kamado, it's a commitment of time & effort to load, heat the charcoal, etc. when, instead of a long, slow smoke, I just want some brats or satay (only two people in our household). I'll confess that sometimes I tell my wife to just cook them indoors. :emoji_astonished::emoji_astonished: Admittedly, not much smoking going in in what I intend, but a small tabletop or camping-friendly gas grill of the type that uses plumbing-torch propane canisters seems ideal. Anyone keep such a thing handy and, if so, what model? Reading other topics, I see a lot of discussion... of larger units than I'll need for this purpose. Ideally, something small enough to put away in a drawer when not in use (I'd like to avoid developing a Raichlen-style forest of grills on my patio!) Like any other purchase, optimized factors like cost and durability are important too.
We bought this little Charbroil xGo200 for the boat over 5 years ago. It's been run hard and still goes good. Just seared two t-bones last night. problem with these little fellas (all portables) is they typically run pretty hot. That's ok for us, because it's usually steak, skirt steak, brisket burgers or brats. all of which we (I) cook like a sear. A few buddies have the Q-series weber, but I was , and still am, a tightwad. The Q (weber)cooks pretty good and is also portable enough for a boat.

Reactions: JLeonard
Those all looked good but I put it off; then my wife wanted one ASAP and I caught this Pit Boss on sale at Amazon. It showed up yesterday and within the hour she wanted me to try it but I had neglected to stock up in 1LB gas cylinders -- I had a nearly empty one for my plumbing torch, and it barely sufficed for some kabobs and it spluttered out just as I was done. Pleased with the grill although a bit heavier than I anticipated and now I need a place to store it. My wife has leftover Sunbrella fabric, as used on boats, from when she made covers for the kamado grill and the grilling cabinet (and matching grilling apron) and can make a cover for this little one. Thanks everyone for the input!

Reactions: bill1
Looks like a great grill for car camping or tailgating too.
Lot of folks who go through a lot of those small bottles get an adapter to refill them from a normal 5# bottle.

i don't knof links are allowed here.. we have had for a few years this Charbroil "Grill to go" it runs hot and you need to keep the infrared ghrate clean but it's my go-to for fast hot heat. ( think skirt, or steak sear.). We also tke it on the boat
if the link doesn't work google charbroil grill to go. I think might be on sale at lowes. lot of my buddies use the weber Q series, but I'm frugal and Little charbroil ghrill has given me years off service.

Lot of folks who go through a lot of those small bottles get an adapter to refill them from a normal 5# bottle.
I actually have the adapter but when I got the kamado and discarded my last gas grill, I gave away a full 20# tank! Now I'll need to buy, and store, one.

I would have given my vote to the Char Broil x200. I have one and it does a great job and easy to clean.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky