Raw Pet Food Maker Refuses to Recall Contaminated Dog Food

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
Reactions: sawhorseray
Wow, makes me happy to not be feeding Bob that crap! My vet wanted us to change Bob's kibble from the grain free stuff he'd been on to Eukanuba, Science Diet or Purina #1 with grain in it. They said studies were finding a correlation between grain free dog food and canine cardio myopathy. My partners dog died from that a couple years ago at the age of six. Bob's on new chow. RAY

I dealing with problems from Wellness. Bags have been full of webbing and last bag full of bugs. I hate to change as had hard time finding food that worked with her IBD.

Last fall my dog developed a cough, so I brought him in to the vet. They took chest x-rays and determined that he had bronchitis. They also noticed his heart was in larged. The diagnosis was dilated cardiomyopathy. The vet ask me what kind of food I was feeding my dog. I said Blue Buffalo wilderness grain free. She told me to stop feeding him that food and to go back to more traditional foods like Iams, science diet, royal cannin, but no grain free food. My vet wanted to see him back in 3 months. I also had another vet confirm the diagnosis. Well, with my fingers crossed I brought him in for his checkup, and am pleased to say his myocardial dilation in back in the normal range.

Last fall my dog developed a cough, so I brought him in to the vet. They took chest x-rays and determined that he had bronchitis. They also noticed his heart was in larged. The diagnosis was dilated cardiomyopathy. The vet ask me what kind of food I was feeding my dog. I said Blue Buffalo wilderness grain free. She told me to stop feeding him that food and to go back to more traditional foods like Iams, science diet, royal cannin, but no grain free food. My vet wanted to see him back in 3 months. I also had another vet confirm the diagnosis. Well, with my fingers crossed I brought him in for his checkup, and am pleased to say his myocardial dilation in back in the normal range.

Wow, that's great to hear, you lucked out! All we can do is look out for them as best we can, they don't ask for much. RAY

One of Costco's dog food....

Ingredients:
Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), egg product, dried beet pulp, potatoes, fish meal, flaxseed, natural flavor, brewers dried yeast, millet, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, carrots, peas, dried kelp, apples, cranberries, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus reuteri fermentation product, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Guaranteed Analysis:
  • Crude Protein 26% Minimum
  • Crude Fat 16% Minimum
  • Crude Fiber 4% Maximum
  • Moisture 10% Maximum
  • Calcium 1.0% Minimum
  • Phosphorus 0.8% Minimum
  • Zinc 200 mg/kg Minimum
  • Selenium 0.35 mg/kg Minimum
  • Vitamin E 150 IU/kg Minimum
  • Omega-6 Fatty Acids* 2.5% Minimum
  • Omega-3 Fatty Acids* 0.4% Minimum
  • Glucosamine* 300 mg/kg Minimum
  • Chondroitin sulfate* 100 mg/kg Minimum
  • Total Microorganisms* Not Less Than 1,000,000 CFU/lb
  • (Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium animalis, Lactobacillus reuteri)

One of Costco's dog food....

Ingredients:
Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), egg product, dried beet pulp, potatoes, fish meal, flaxseed, natural flavor, brewers dried yeast, millet, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, carrots, peas, dried kelp, apples, cranberries, rosemary extract, parsley flake, dried chicory root, glucosamine hydrochloride, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus reuteri fermentation product, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, chondroitin sulfate, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Guaranteed Analysis:
  • Crude Protein 26% Minimum
  • Crude Fat 16% Minimum
  • Crude Fiber 4% Maximum
  • Moisture 10% Maximum
  • Calcium 1.0% Minimum
  • Phosphorus 0.8% Minimum
  • Zinc 200 mg/kg Minimum
  • Selenium 0.35 mg/kg Minimum
  • Vitamin E 150 IU/kg Minimum
  • Omega-6 Fatty Acids* 2.5% Minimum
  • Omega-3 Fatty Acids* 0.4% Minimum
  • Glucosamine* 300 mg/kg Minimum
  • Chondroitin sulfate* 100 mg/kg Minimum
  • Total Microorganisms* Not Less Than 1,000,000 CFU/lb
  • (Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium animalis, Lactobacillus reuteri)
Daveomak,
Is this Costco dog food good or bad?
Thanks

I've never seen it on any "Pet food recall" list....
The ingredients look good to me....
They have several mixes for all ages of dogs... I live 115 miles from the nearest Costco and it's delivered to my house.... It's about $1 a pound... $40 for a 40# bag give or take... I've had 4H folks tell me it's a very highly rated food... That's when I started buying it..

I've never seen it on any "Pet food recall" list....
The ingredients look good to me....
They have several mixes for all ages of dogs... I live 115 miles from the nearest Costco and it's delivered to my house.... It's about $1 a pound... $40 for a 40# bag give or take... I've had 4H folks tell me it's a very highly rated food... That's when I started buying it..
Thanks daveomak, I looked it up and pet food advisors give it their highest rating, also a lot of other good reviews.

Reactions: daveomak
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.