Rainy Day Smoked Steelhead

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 1, 2019
The Cowboy State - Wyoming
We've had 4 days of springtime rain showers and I bought a side of steelhead from Sam's to sous vide, but I reserved a generous tail section to cure and smoke. Here is the 'rainy day' set-up with my Big-Chief fish box smoker. I ran some of my remaining A-Maze-N 'Pitmaster Blend' pellets.
KkxDhaJ.jpg

This is at the 2-1/2 hour mark.
nSBNOoh.jpg

And here it is at 3-1/2 hours and 144°F internal. Just a smidge of albumen has risen in that crack on the right.
HTCBnbs.jpg

Looks great. Been awhile since I have cured and smoked some .

Yum the fish looks perfect. Used to smoke a lot of salmon that way. And Hadn’t used a big chief in years. Played it some lately though.

I broke out my trusty Big Chief electric fish box smoker this morning after finding some steelhead trout at my Sam's Club. I've had this smoker since the '80's and it's the bomb for trout, salmon and steelhead. My standard drill is to dry cure the skin-on fillet for 6 hours, then rinse, season with garlic pepper seasoning & coarse black pepper, and rest in the beer fridge overnight. Smoking with A-Maze-N Pitmasters Blend pellets in the hot plate pan took me 5.5 hours to reach an internal of 151°F. It's now chillin' back in the beer fridge.
That is pretty much my standard routine too. I shorten the cure time to 4 hours for Rainbows. A couple of friends like their trout a little dryer than I do, so I take theirs to 155°. The tail end curls a little and I snip with scissors for appearance and to get an early taste test.
GfWvyjJ.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky