Racks ? ? ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mcg1238

Original poster
Oct 22, 2011
I was wondering what some of you have used for racks in your smokers... Im Building mine and having some issues finding racks. Oven racks online are about 25 bucks... Anyone have any ideas and if so where i can find it... ThankS!!!

I am doing a conversion on a commercial fridge. The racking is made for half sheet pans and wire racks were hard to come by in that size. I got lucky and found some at a Business Costco for about $5 each. They are cooling racks, but I think they should be okay for smoker temperatures. (As the name implies, Business Costcos cater to businesses and restaurants, but anyone with a card can buy there. You can find some incredible deals on restaurant equipment there. Not to mention wholesale prices on cryopak meats.)

If you don't have one in your area, you might be able to find something on this site:

http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/kitchen/cooling-racks/c1862.aspx

im new to this and slowly in the process of building one from a old deepfreeze

doing it as low budget as possible too.check your local disposal place that takes

unwanted stoves you might get the racks very cheep or do what i did and bribe them

with some finished snack sticks when your up and running

Where can you find the expanded metal? Im thinking thats what I want to use in my build.
Lowe's and home depot have expanded metal  here, 4x8 sheets. Stuff is high dollar. i disposed of an old stove a while back and kept the racks out of it.

Where can you find the expanded metal? Im thinking thats what I want to use in my build.

We have a couple of "junk" dealers around here that sells metal and such. I can't remember what I gave for it. Seems like 40 something a sheet. Lowes and box stores will be higher than a place that sells stuff like this. Look around a price it. Oven racks are too wide open for my liking.

Last edited:
Look in the yellow pages for "Appliance Recyclers"

The local guy has piles of racks and parts to dig thru

Todd

I want to the local recycling plant and found a ton of oven racks. I love these because they are wider and longer than fridge/freezer racks and you can cut them to fit your smoker so you can get the fullest out of your racks. They did not charge me let me dig through them and gave me what I found.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky