Quick Rib Help!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dougbennett

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
This may sound like a stupid question, but I'm ready to fire up the GOSM and need some help. The local market has St. Louis ribs B1G1 free. If I'm using the 3-2-1 method, how long do I cook St. Louis ribs? Are they more like sparreibs, which are cooked 3-2-1 or baby back ribs, which I cook more like 2-2-1?

Thanks in advance to all!

I read around here somewhere that since the St. Louis style are all trimmed up that 2-2-1 might be more appropriate. I have never actually cooked Spares, so I don't know for sure. I am sure some of the more experienced members can verify this...

You should try the St. Looie trims BB...much cheaper, and IMO, just as good done right. PLUS ya get to play with the trimmings! PORKBALL!

So, Richtee, you're saying to check the ribs 45 mins after foiling, as in the 2-2-1 could be more like 2-1-1? Also, what am I checking for? A certain temp?

he is probably talking about the pull back of the meat on the bone. Look for around 1/2 inch, their done at that point. St Louis style is the same as spares, just trimmed. BB are most of the time less meat so less time is needed. When and if I do BB, I actually do a 2-1.5-1, so a 2-2-1 for SLS might be just about right, but your pull back will tell ya for sure.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky