Quick question....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rons

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Hey, another member linked me to this

Is that right, cured in under 3 hours?If so I can get this going today still :)

Attachments

• 2.4 hours.jpg
    2.4 hours.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 22
Hey, another member linked me to this

Is that right, cured in under 3 hours?If so I can get this going today still :)

It's my understanding that cure#1 and salt will travel 1/4 inch every 24 hours.
How thick is your jerky???

By this rule of thumb a 1/4 inch of jerky with salt and cure on both sides would be good to go in 12 hours (1/8th inch from each side = half a day = 12 hrs).

With ground meat I've bene told its basically instantaneous after mixing and that has always worked for me :)

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
That website I showed the screen shot from showed in a liquid cure (so curing from all sides), 1/4 inch cures in 2.4 hours, add 20% to make sure, so for sure in 3 hours it's saying it would be fully for sure cured. Seems so fast

Click this below to make it bigger

Attachments

• 2.4 hours.jpg
    2.4 hours.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 16
Greg Blonder has done a lot of work on salt and cure diffusion. Since your curing mix is applied to both side of a 1/4" thick strip of meat.... I suppose this time is correct as the minimum.

That said, in jerky the cure helps with color, texture and the 'cured' flavor we strive for. Preservation kind of takes a back seat for me because my jerky is not actually in the danger zone. My dry curing time is 24 hours

Greg Blonder has done a lot of work on salt and cure diffusion. Since your curing mix is applied to both side of a 1/4" thick strip of meat.... I suppose this time is correct as the minimum.

That said, in jerky the cure helps with color, texture and the 'cured' flavor we strive for. Preservation kind of takes a back seat for me because my jerky is not actually in the danger zone. My dry curing time is 24 hours
ok cool, was just curious, usually I always go overnight, but saw that and was amazed it could happen that fast

rons rons , it is correct. And as stated, add 20% to the time to ensure cure hits center.

Isn't it amazing how sodium molecules are the only molecules small enough to penetrate meat?

FWIW, I leave the jerky meat in the "wet brine" or marinade for 24 hours for full flavor.

There are other curing calculators out there like this one from diggingdogfarm that is mighty handy too.

rons rons , it is correct. And as stated, add 20% to the time to ensure cure hits center.

Isn't it amazing how sodium molecules are the only molecules small enough to penetrate meat?

FWIW, I leave the jerky meat in the "wet brine" or marinade for 24 hours for full flavor.

There are other curing calculators out there like this one from diggingdogfarm that is mighty handy too.
yeah just some things get into 'cells' (water, sodium, other electrolytes), but thank goodness onion and garlic can at least get between the fibers lol

yeah just some things get into 'cells' (water, sodium, other electrolytes), but thank goodness onion and garlic can at least get between the fibers lol

I am actually glad that you questioned the cure time in the calculator because...it's the internet, afterall...
We are fortunate here on SMF that we have highly knowledgeable members like
daveomak daveomak
thirdeye thirdeye
SmokinEdge SmokinEdge
chef jimmyj chef jimmyj
Bearcarver Bearcarver
tallbm tallbm
disco disco
and many, many more members who will call out anyone posting bad advice or down right dangerous info here in the forums.

You're good hands here.

ok cool, was just curious, usually I always go overnight, but saw that and was amazed it could happen that fast
It may happen that fast, but I would error on the side of at least 12hours. If cure #1 is applied in correct % then you cannot over cure, but you can under cure. Plus the longer curing time means more of the aromatics and flavors have a chance to develop. Take your time in this hobby and don’t rush it. This can almost be an instant gratification hobby, but to do it right, take a little extra time. The final product will show this.

OK good points on both posts above this one, always better safe than sorry

Yeah some very cool knowledgable people on here to learn from!

I just ordered Jeff's book off the link on this forum, I think it has cool info. like this too so really looking forward to that arriving :)

OK good points on both posts above this one, always better safe than sorry

Yeah some very cool knowledgable people on here to learn from!

I just ordered Jeff's book off the link on this forum, I think it has cool info. like this too so really looking forward to that arriving :)
For further book studies, order a copy of “Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages“ by: Stanley Marianski.
This book is a bible, of sorts, with no b.s and very extensive on the subjects of curing, bringing, smoking, and safely producing cured and smoked meats. A must have in the library.

For further book studies, order a copy of “Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages“ by: Stanley Marianski.
This book is a bible, of sorts, with no b.s and very extensive on the subjects of curing, bringing, smoking, and safely producing cured and smoked meats. A must have in the library.

OK I'll check that book out

Personally I would give it at least overnight.
However anything is better than those who don't use any cure at all. IMHO

Bear
thanks, will for sure from now on

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky