Quick Question - Pork Shoulder Wrapping

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Little-m

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 27, 2019
Winnipeg
Hi folks,

I'm doing my first shoulder and have reached the 163* mark. Am ready to wrap. I would like to know if you folks leave the wrapping on for the rest of the cook or do you remove it when it reaches close to finish temp?

Thanks,
Mark

I cover them in disposable foil pans that I put a cup of broth and a little rub mix in. You can also use apple juice. Let it finish in there and then you will have some nice juice to mix through your pulled meat. Powers you through the stall AND makes you some liquid gold juice.

Reactions: Little-m
I like wrapping as I like the time savings and I think it gives better flavor and moisture, at least compared to when I've done them unwrapped. However, you will lose your bark keeping it wrapped. What I do is take my pork shoulder out of the wrap about 10 degrees from target temp and place it back on the grate...the bark will form back up to get that crust back that's so highly sought after.

Hi folks,

I'm doing my first shoulder and have reached the 163* mark. Am ready to wrap. I would like to know if you folks leave the wrapping on for the rest of the cook or do you remove it when it reaches close to finish temp?

Thanks,
Mark

Reactions: jcam222
...and for what it's worth, I have had members on this site tell me resting pork shoulder isn't really necessary. It's also easy to add juice collected from the wrap process back in, or use a great finishing sauce like JJs to add moisture back if needed:
JJ's Finishing Sauce

1C Apple Cider Vinegar

2T Worcestershire Sauce or more to taste

1/4C Brown Sugar

1T Smoked Paprika

2 tsp Granulated Garlic

2 tsp Granulated Onion

2 tsp Fine Grind Black Pepper

1 tsp Celery Salt

1 tsp Cayenne Pepper or Chipotle powder. Add more if you like Heat.

1/2 tsp Grnd Allspice

Extras per Me:

¼ C Honey

1 C Apple cider

I also use a disposable aluminum pan with a rack inside to keep the meat out of the juice. Once I'm close to my desired temp I take the meat out of the pan and put it back on the grates to finish.

Chris

Reactions: jcam222
Thanks to everyone for chiming in. Being the first one I've done, I think it turned out well. Despite wrapping, it still took almost 14 hours to finish. By then though I was too drunk to care lol. Turned out to be a very late supper.

Reactions: The meat man
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky