QUICK HELP!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kevin Haynes

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
Using an old country Pecos smoker and its about 50 degrees. Wind blowing from stack side to firebox side pretty quickly. I can NOT get my fire/wood to burn clean and fully ignite. Never have this issue. But the weather is the first time like this. AND I usually use a chimney full of of kingsford briquettes to start, but this time I used a chimney full of b&b lump. What is going on and why can I not get a fire started?...I have been adding and babying this thing for 5 hours now. Any ideas?

From your description it sounds like the wind is starving your firebox of air. Any chance to position the firebox so some of that wind blows through the box?

Probably not much help as I am not a big stick burner but I would think adjusting your vents for more air intake and maybe adding more charcoal might up your temps.

Reactions: Kevin Haynes
From your description it sounds like the wind is starving your firebox of air. Any chance to position the firebox so some of that wind blows through the box?
Exactly! It is starving. That is the best description I can think of....it is possible but very inconvenient

Reactions: JC in GB
That sucks man. The joys of stick burning in the cold wind.

Grab a 12 pack and ride it out! What you got on the smoker?
Haha I'm definitely riding it out...2 briskets.....should I foil them at 170 IT? Will it mess anything up?(i usually pink paper wrap) but it's all turning into chopped brisket sandwiches. Think I ought to go ahead and speed it up? Or rather, is it safe? Lol

Haha I'm definitely riding it out...2 briskets.....should I foil them at 170 IT? Will it mess anything up?(i usually pink paper wrap) but it's all turning into chopped brisket sandwiches. Think I ought to go ahead and speed it up? Or rather, is it safe? Lol

Yeah for sure its safe. If you are going to chop it up into sandwiches and that black crusty bark isn't important I would foil them up. Will speed it up. If you have pink paper will help speed it up but keep some of that bark too.

Reactions: Kevin Haynes
Yeah for sure its safe. If you are going to chop it up into sandwiches and that black crusty bark isn't important I would foil them up. Will speed it up. If you have pink paper will help speed it up but keep some of that bark too.
For shits and giggles I tried something...and I found this to be pretty interesting...so I ALWAYS use kingsford original blue and white bag charcoal in my chimney to pour in and throw a log on to get it rolling....well this time I happened to try B&B oak lump charcoal. Same exact routine, just different charcoal. (Wind was drafty in a bad direction as well) but I decided to say "F it!" And I sparked a chimney of kingsford. When it was white and ready I scraped every piece of coal bed I had from that B&B lump. Poured in the kingsford and threw a log on, wind still crappy and NOW I am back on track. Temps are staying up. Fire is easy and consistent. I don't care what yall say....I will NEVER use lump charcoal again. Maybe a bad batch? Does it go bad/expire?...everything is back to normal again.

For shits and giggles I tried something...and I found this to be pretty interesting...so I ALWAYS use kingsford original blue and white bag charcoal in my chimney to pour in and throw a log on to get it rolling....well this time I happened to try B&B oak lump charcoal. Same exact routine, just different charcoal. (Wind was drafty in a bad direction as well) but I decided to say "F it!" And I sparked a chimney of kingsford. When it was white and ready I scraped every piece of coal bed I had from that B&B lump. Poured in the kingsford and threw a log on, wind still crappy and NOW I am back on track. Temps are staying up. Fire is easy and consistent. I don't care what yall say....I will NEVER use lump charcoal again. Maybe a bad batch? Does it go bad/expire?...everything is back to normal again.
Glad you are going good now. I use B&B lump in my cabinet smoker and it’s my preferred charcoal. Burns hot, long and clean. Was it perhaps damp?

Glad you are going good now. I use B&B lump in my cabinet smoker and it’s my preferred charcoal. Burns hot, long and clean. Was it perhaps damp?
Just picked it up yesterday at Academy. EVERYONE claims it runs long hot and clean. That's why I got it. Wasn't damp at all. I hate to think the lump is like that because I know tons of folks who use it. I have no idea what happened with that bag I got

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky