Quick First Turkey Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jasond

Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
North Central IL
Alright guys, my first bird has been a success so far.  I put my 12# turkey on the smoker this morning around 4:15 (I know, it's done when it's done, it can bite you either way, late or early).  Anyways, I hit 168* in the breasts and 178* in the thighs at about the 4 1/2 hour mark (about 15-20 minutes ago actually).

My question is regarding foiling it.  We are transporting it 30 minutes for carving in the ballpark of 11 am (2 hours from now) for lunch around noon.  I currently have it sitting in a foil pan, and wrapped over the top tightly with foil twice.  And it's in the cooler with some towels.  Is that good enough you think?  Or should I take it out of the foil pan and wrap it by itself in foil like I do my briskets and butts.  Just want to make sure I'm not going to lose too much heat with it being in a foil pan.

Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving to all.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky