Questions on MES30 and mailbox mod

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

goldmine1965

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 9, 2015
Iowa
For those with the MES 30 that have done the mailbox mod. Is the 3 inch, 26 gauge elbow the correct one?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3-in-26-Gauge-90-Degree-Round-Adjustable-Elbow-26B90E3/100113133

Did you make any modifications to the MES where the elbow goes in? It looks like only one inch of the elbow will go in.

Did you make any modifications or remove the chip tray or heat shield/cover? Hard to see, but it looks like it might be riveted in.

Thanks for all that has been done to get us newbies to this point.

Goldmine

Your link to that elbow is not working.  If that elbow is made of Galvanize steel, I would not use it, instead look for an aluminum one.  Also, because the hole in the smoker is different in the upper half as compared to the bottom half, you would need to cut out a little bit of the upper half of the pipe's end that goes in.

Your link to that elbow is not working.  If that elbow is made of Galvanize steel, I would not use it, instead look for an aluminum one.  Also, because the hole in the smoker is different in the upper half as compared to the bottom half, you would need to cut out a little bit of the upper half of the pipe's end that goes in.
hmm. maybe link is just to my local Home Depot. Anyways it is galvanized steel. Thanks for the reply, I'll look for a aluminum one.

My understanding is galvanized can release poisonous partials at temps over 700 degrees. Seeing as how your never going to come close to that temp you should be ok. I was going to use a galvanized elbow on my 40 but I found some soup cans around the house that worked before I went to the hardware store.

I may be wrong on the galvanized temp but I'm sure someone will correct me if I am. It's been a few years since I put the mailbox on mine.

For those with the MES 30 that have done the mailbox mod. Is the 3 inch, 26 gauge elbow the correct one?  YES... and galvanized will be OK because that part of the smoker does not get hot enough to volatilize the zinc....

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3-in-26-Gauge-90-Degree-Round-Adjustable-Elbow-26B90E3/100113133

Did you make any modifications to the MES where the elbow goes in? It looks like only one inch of the elbow will go in.  YES, remove the entire hood and coupling that you can see in the picture... Then about 1" of the non crimped end will protrude through the wall so you can add an extension...

...  .....

Did you make any modifications or remove the chip tray or heat shield/cover? Hard to see, but it looks like it might be riveted in. YES, remove the cover above the chip tray..  It should unscrew from the wall....

... ...
Thanks for all that has been done to get us newbies to this point.

Goldmine

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky