Questions on MES30 and mailbox mod

Discussion in 'Electric Smokers' started by goldmine1965, Mar 29, 2016.

1. goldmine1965

goldmine1965 Smoke Blower

For those with the MES 30 that have done the mailbox mod. Is the 3 inch, 26 gauge elbow the correct one?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3-in-26-Gauge-90-Degree-Round-Adjustable-Elbow-26B90E3/100113133

Did you make any modifications to the MES where the elbow goes in? It looks like only one inch of the elbow will go in.

Did you make any modifications or remove the chip tray or heat shield/cover? Hard to see, but it looks like it might be riveted in.

Thanks for all that has been done to get us newbies to this point.

Goldmine

2. cmayna

cmayna Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Your link to that elbow is not working.  If that elbow is made of Galvanize steel, I would not use it, instead look for an aluminum one.  Also, because the hole in the smoker is different in the upper half as compared to the bottom half, you would need to cut out a little bit of the upper half of the pipe's end that goes in.

3. goldmine1965

goldmine1965 Smoke Blower

hmm. maybe link is just to my local Home Depot. Anyways it is galvanized steel. Thanks for the reply, I'll look for a aluminum one.

4. hillbillyrkstr

hillbillyrkstr Master of the Pit Group Lead

My understanding is galvanized can release poisonous partials at temps over 700 degrees. Seeing as how your never going to come close to that temp you should be ok. I was going to use a galvanized elbow on my 40 but I found some soup cans around the house that worked before I went to the hardware store.

I may be wrong on the galvanized temp but I'm sure someone will correct me if I am. It's been a few years since I put the mailbox on mine.

5. old sarge

old sarge Master of the Pit ★ Lifetime Premier ★

6. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016