Questions about my DIY double chamber vertical smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Orik

Original poster
May 2, 2020
I'm quiet new to the smoking world. and decided to try and build my own smoker.
I built a vertical smoker from two old metal water tanks, with a valve in the middle of the two chambers for controlling the amount of smoke and heat going to to the cooking chamber, and another valve on top of the chimney.
i decided to make a vertical smoker to maintain even temperature more easily, and two separate chambers to prevent any direct fire on the meat.

In my first try I got some nice clean smoke going on, but i had to be all the time near the smoker and add coals to regulate the
temperature to 230 degrees. If i left the smoker alone it would maintain a temperature of about 175 for a long period of time. I also prepared new coals in a fire pit near the smoker, and added them to the fire chamber, because I was afraid i would get grey or black smoke if i added new wood directly to the fire chamber and get smog on the meat, if i had fire in the chamber instead of slow burning coals.

Wanted to ask if there is any problem with the design or the way i am regulating the temperature.

hope to learn a lot from this try and hopefully get some tips from the experienced people here on how to get better at this.

thank you in advance

Attachments

• 20170323_162301.jpg
    20170323_162301.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 20170331_180452.jpg
    20170331_180452.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 20170331_190526.jpg
    20170331_190526.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky