Questions about cheese and bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

java

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 30, 2010
northern colorado
Hi all. I have a couple questions.
1. What makes Hi-temp cheese Hi-temp? is it moisture content?
2> We have always just cold smoked our bacon, figuring it gets up to safe temp when we cook it. Now a couple of new friends have told me thats not even safe?
Feedback please.

Bacon properly cured is fine to cold smoke and then fully cook just before serving. Smoking pork belly at anything above about 100-125 degrees will start rendering fat so if you hot smoke it then how are you to cook it before serving? Those people probably want you eating turkey bacon after either air frying it or baking it in the oven.

There is absolutely nothing unsafe about cold smoking properly cured bacon. That's the main reason for curing it .... so that it's safe to keep in the danger zone during the smoking phase.

On the cheese, try Tillamook sharp cheddar. I was told to use it in place of high temp for my jalapeno cheddar sausages and it worked fine. The cheese didn't melt out of the sausages during smoking or cooking.

1648934974575.png

Thank you all! We have always cold smoked bacon , and figured it was the way to go.
Some times I second guess myself when people that have been doing it longer than we have add their opinion.
Cold smoke it is!

Reactions: bigfurmn
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky