Question regarding powdered milk/nfdm and cultured buttermilk

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jaxon2

Original poster
Jan 3, 2015
Few Beginner questions

I was wondering if there is a difference between powdered milk and NFDM? Ive seen them listed in different Summer sausage recipes some calling for powdered milk others nfdm and was wondering if they are the same thing or accomplish the same thing?

I've also seen cultured buttermilk listed. I've seen this gives sausage a tangy taste. Does this work as a substitute for ECA?

Thanks

NFPDM is the same as powdered dry. Buttermilk powder will give a slight tang. You can get buttermilk powder in the stores in the baking section. Its called Sako Buttermilk Powder.

You can use good quality liquid Buttermilk also, just skip adding any water.

What is the recommended amount of dry sako buttermilk to use per pound of meat?

I go by the amount of product i make.
Say your making 5lbs. I use 1/2 to 3/4 cup.

Careful if you add too much the mix can get dry and crumbly. This is where some make a mistake and add more water which will make your meat excrete the water and fill your casings and the end results end up in the trash can.

I go by the amount of product i make.
Say your making 5lbs. I use 1/2 to 3/4 cup.

Careful if you add too much the mix can get dry and crumbly. This is where some make a mistake and add more water which will make your meat excrete the water and fill your casings and the end results end up in the trash can.

Thanks.

I have used sako several times but was never sure what the recommended amount was. Haven’t messed up yet thankfully.

Thanks.

I have used sako several times but was never sure what the recommended amount was. Haven’t messed up yet thankfully.
Try the liquid buttermilk, whole nuther taste.

I found that when i use the liquid BM, mix it it and fridge it for few hours. Dont worry if when first mixing the meat has a white tint, you will be fine.

I have a chart some where on additives per lbs of meat. Let me find it.

Thanks everyone! I'd be interested in the amount of eca per pound of meat

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky