question on UDS build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ralphbrown05

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
jacksonville, fl
hey peeps, with my plans for my UDS, im wondering why i dont see alot of people putting in doors on the bottom so they can open a door to add more fuel or wood as necessary?  i want to do that and put in gasket used for fire places or stoves... and can someone post a link on lowes or home depots website about the bung plug for intake vents... thanks peeps

Ralph, most here are using Carcoal and Lump in the UDS's, Iam working on a Woodfired one and I belive Sloflaker has his aapted for Wood.

Both of use (me soon) have doors to feed the wood. It is a personal choice to add a door,problems are;increased area to seal for minimum airflow,and ash removal.

I am working on a bottom ash dump.and sealing the lid and around intakes.

More work and a faster burn time,but with avaliable wood,a better choice (for flavor) IMHO.

im wondering why i dont see alot of people putting in doors on the bottom so they can open a door to add more fuel or wood as necessary?
Ralph,

On my UDS I can get well over 12 hours on one load.  I've never come close to running out of fuel, so I don't need a door for that.  Also, I've read that having a door can create problems with airflow because of possible leaks around the door.

There are two main reasons that you don't see  a lot of doors  cut into the bottom of the drum. 1. You don't need a door to add wood as most people can get 20+ hours on one fill of the basket. 2. It  can be really hard  to get the door sealed back up. You need to  be able to control your air flow on the drum to be able to control the temps. So if you don't get that door sealed good you will not be able to control the temps in the drum very well at all.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky