Question on Minion Method in my particular smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dburne

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 29, 2013
Nashville TN
Hey gang,

We have company coming on Friday, and have planned a large smoke for Saturday.

I have done 3 smokes so far. Using the minion method, have had mixed results. I am using Kingsford, along with hickory chunks.

Now, I am sure part of my problem, is the fire grate in the fire box, on my OKJ Longhorn offset, is kind of small and sits kind of low - does not take a lot of ash buildup to choke it from the bottom.

I ordered a charcoal basket and convection plate from Horizon couple of months ago, does not look like I will have by the weekend.  And I do not have time to do much myself as I travel for a living.

Any tips to help on the minion method? I had great results on one of the smokes, got like 3 hours or so before having to add and temp stayed good, the other two it ate charcoal like crazy.

Any tips appreciated,

Pictures would help, so we know what's going on now....  Possibly bolts in the bottom of the basket to raise it up higher...    Dave

Bolts sound like might be a good idea, I will check that out - thanks.

I am currently out of town, will try and get some pics when I get back.

Don

Go to Lowe's and get a bag of Stubb's all natural briquettes. Much less ash and very long, consistent burn times. I've gotten ridiculous burn times out of Stubb's.

If you can't find a good all natural briquette, go with lump. It'll burn hotter but not as long, and with even less ash. Raising your grate is a good idea as well. If you can't manage the nut/bolt mod to raise it, some strategically placed balls of aluminum foil will do the trick.

Thanks - I was by a Wal-Mart this week in my travels, they had the large bags of Kingsford on sale for 10 bucks a bag, so I picked a couple of those up. If I have time when I get back, will try to get by Lowe's and see if they have the Stubbs. Less ash building would certainly help me , at least until I can do something.

Thanks,

Don

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky