Question on hickory wood for smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Winch

Original poster
Apr 6, 2020
Hi,

New member here with a question on using hickory for smoking pork butts. Can I use small limbs with tight bark attached or should I stick with pieces split from larger log (with no bark). I think I've used both in the past and didn't notice much of a difference. I just cut down a few shag bark hickory trees and I will cut the logs into sections to dry for a year or more. I cut up the little limbs that are 1 - 4 inch diameter into 12 inch lengths either to give to my daughter for her fire pit or to use for the smoker when dry.

Opinions?

Yes, I often use apple limbs that are smallish in size. I pull any of the loose bark off, because I don't think it gives the same smokey flavor to the meat. More of a bittery taste coming from loose bark I've noticed.

Chris

I have used wood with bark and not really noticed a difference. as far as the branch wood it would easier size for the fire you want. as long as its dry you should be ok.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Small limbs work great . I remove the bark from larger pieces , however the bark from shag bark hickory works well by itself .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky