Question for you guys with smokers on your decks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hdsmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 20, 2009
Ohio
I recently bought an 18.5 WSM and i have put it on my (wood) deck. I put it up on concrete blocks to get it a little further off the boards for heat reasons, and it doesnt even get very hot under the heat deflector anyway. But my question is on when using your chimney. I have an old ECB that i have been using to set my chimney on when lighting, but when i go to dump in the hot coals i always have some of the small pieces of lump fall through the grate on the bottom of the chimney. Then i am running around getting those hot little suckers off the deck. Is there something you all have under your smokers that you dont have to worry about those as much? I keep a fire extinguisher right inside the door for that reason, but i am thinking like maybe a small fireplace hearth or something.

Ya concrete.....honestly never thought of that i don't have wood.....maybe you could get to big cookie sheets from sams or something and put under it....good luck

I use my weber kettle to hold the chimney starter as I am getting it going, it seems to hold all the sparking issues pretty well. transfers arnt a problem either, as they are right next to each other. SOmetimes I am clumsy so I always have a set of tongs ready.

At my local Menards they have a pretty good size "pan" that is made for putting underneath your grill , smoker etc. , on clearance for about $5 . It is with all the grill stuff . Maybe your local store would have the same thing . It's probably about 2 1/2 feet by 3 1/2 feet .

If you're going to keep it on your deck, you need to have something under it. One of the easiest ways is to buy some sheets of durock (concrete tile backer) that come in 3'x5' sheets and stick underneath it. If you want something prettier, you can just lay indoor tile on top of that (12"x12" porcelain works best and is cheapest) - No grout needed. A couple of strips of 1" treated lumber screwed down around the edges to hold it all in place, and it looks custom. It doesn't take long for a few hot embers to catch a deck on fire when you aren't watching!

You could always use a fireplace shovel to move your coals from the ecb to the wsm. OR you could buy one of those metal dustpans and hold it under the chimney while you transfer the coals. Either of those might work.

Hmm...i am kind of liking the wonderboard idea...pretty much what i was thinking about the fireplace hearth idea. I could do the tile too. But, then im worried about rot under that with water seepage and constantly being damp. Maybe i will look for one of those pans first for a quick fix and then keep thinking about it. And i agree...the hot embers scare the crap out of me!

Go to an auto parts store, they sell those giant under car aluminum drip pans for a couple of bucks. Or get a grill mat from Home Depot or Lowe's. I have a wooden deck as well.

This is a most excellant idea. Thanks greechneb
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

I would and have used Durock cement board Next Gen . It is water-durable and non-combustible being UL classified for fire performance .

You could lay tile straight on top of this product for great looks and protection .

In closing I would also keep good fire putter outter ~~ ( can't spell extinguisher ) out on my deck
~

Just Sayin if we can thick of it burning it can happen you we better be prepared .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky