Question for the medical, biochemistry guys....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
What percentage of interstatial fluid is water?

Specifically, the fluid that drains out of meat and collects in the bottom of the container. How much of that pure water? Anyone know? It technically is not blood....but either way, I'd like a ball park percentage that water.

I guess if nobody knows, next time I buy a double pack of boston butts I'm gonna open the package on a sheet pan then dump all the juice on the pan....then weigh the pan. Next, put that in a 250*F oven and evaporate all the water out...weigh that so I know how much water was there. Then clean and dry the pan, re-weigh...then I'll know how much residual I have and can do some math from there....

What percentage of interstatial fluid is water?

Specifically, the fluid that drains out of meat and collects in the bottom of the container. How much of that pure water? Anyone know? It technically is not blood....but either way, I'd like a ball park percentage that water.
I don’t have a technical number for you in a scientific sense but that liquid is hemoglobin water. So it’s composition has to be mostly water with some hemoglobin but my guess would be 90% water the rest would be hemoglobin, iron , proteins and such.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky