Question for the charcoal experts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mike1ranger

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 22, 2017
Northern MN
I have been running some experiments on my new Oklahoma Joe's bronco to try and get long burns at lower temps for doing smoked sausage. My goal was to keep temps stable below 170 but to ideally be able to start at 130 or so and creep up to the 170ish mark. I previously had tries the snake method on the bronco for a couple hours and it seemed to be going well so this weekend I decided to start early and shoot for 10 hours or more. All I did was set up the snake with royal oak briquettes and no wood. No food, just a dry run.

So, here's where I need some expert opinions. This method worked so well with temp control and I got the 10 hours with more to left to burn. I was able to start at 135ish and was able to slowly climb to 170 with minimal fluctuations. all seemed well and was happy. But, with no wood, the briquettes gave off continuous thin blue smoke. With all that said, are my temps too low for the charcoal to preheat enough as the snake burns to keep me on good quality smoke or will the smoke that's given off by the briquettes end up being bad smoke? Looking for opinions before I go all in with some sausage this next weekend. Thoughts?

Reactions: Will Squared
Your process is sound. When you say..
But, with no wood, the briquettes gave off continuous thin blue smoke

...that is a GOOD THNING! You have to choose for yourself if you want a couple wood chunks in there in for additional smoke flavor. That's a personal preference thing. With that said, I do notice a bit more smoke volume when the chunks are burning and slight temperature spike. I have found less is more for me, and use smaller chunks than I do with hotter cooks.

I say just go for it, and your charcoal will just do its thing as long as you can control your vents accurately enough. But you have just shown that you can... Sausage time!

Your process is sound. When you say..

...that is a GOOD THNING! You have to choose for yourself if you want a couple wood chunks in there in for additional smoke flavor. That's a personal preference thing. With that said, I do notice a bit more smoke volume when the chunks are burning and slight temperature spike. I have found less is more for me, and use smaller chunks than I do with hotter cooks.

I say just go for it, and your charcoal will just do its thing as long as you can control your vents accurately enough. But you have just shown that you can... Sausage time!
Thank you, appreciate the feedback.

Yep, you're good on your setup. To add wood, bury it in the charcoal. Don't place it on top, and don't place it right next to where you load the hot coals. When buried and at least a 2-3 inches away from the hot load, the wood will preheat and burn cleaner.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky