Question about pecan wood grub worms

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

loadedgoat

Original poster
Aug 15, 2016
Hello all,

This morning I started splitting some small pecan logs that I acquired about 4 months ago from a friend who had a good size limb fall from his huge pecan tree. The logs are between 6"-8" in diameter and have been stored in a metal cart, under the back porch. Soon as I began splitting them I noticed they were full of these thick white grub worms. I was alarmed because I have no idea how they could have gotten into the wood. But is this wood still safe for smoking meat? I don't care that the grub worms are there, but do not want to poison my food with burned insect smoke. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky