question about Kingsford savory and smokey charcoal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bigheaded

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 14, 2021
Philippines
I'm not finding a definite answer here. Roomie bought characoal for me to smoke the turkey tomorrow, but they didn't pay attention and got Kingsford Savory & Smokey Hickory. My plan was charcoal + some Pecan wood chunks. I've never used this infused charcoal so I don't know what to expect flavorwise. I'm assuming it won't be anywhere close to as pronounced as charcoal + chunks. But I don't know for certain, should I still use some chunks? And if so should I use less? I typically put a few decent sized chunks every 4 or so inches and a couple small ones in the ash box on the bottom of my Gravity 560. Hickory + Pecan sounds like it would be a nice combo, but I don't want to overdue it lol.

Will be a 5'ish hour cook at 325f if that makes any difference.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: negolien
I usually use a flavored briquet and chunks layered together in my mbgf. I seldom use chunks in the ashbin. I do however have different experiences with the hardwood flavored briquettes smoking real bad and I do not recommend them. I DO USE fruitwood and chunks though and don't have issues. Just from my personal experiance i usuaully use safeway branded briquettes.

Reactions: Bigheaded
I usually use a flavored briquet and chunks layered together in my mbgf. I seldom use chunks in the ashbin. I do however have different experiences with the hardwood flavored briquettes smoking real bad and I do not recommend them. I DO USE fruitwood and chunks though and don't have issues. Just from my personal experiance i usuaully use safeway branded briquettes.

Thanks for the info, welp it's 2:30AM I'm putting the turkey on at 5 and I have no other charcoal. So hickory infused it is. I know you said you don't recommend them. But thankfully this turkey will be eaten by people who mostly are lacking pallets so it should still taste good to them.

Reactions: negolien
I'm curious B Bigheaded -- how did your turkey cook go last week with the flavored Kingsford briquettes? I've never used them myself, but have always wondered if they're the real thing or just a marketing gimmick.
I have used some of them, you can actually see the wood in the briquetts. Since I add my own chunks, I am sticking the cheaper regular ones. I am having issues with the Walmart embers brand, they just don't light as well as Kingsford original in the chimney.

Curious your opinion B Bigheaded on the Kingsford.
I've tried the hickory and cherry infused and didn't notice any flavor add. I didn't use any added chips or chunks so it was Kingsford only. I got them on closeout for very cheap and was my last Kingsford and almost my last briquette.
I changed over to lump charcoal and have not looked back.
1/10 the ash, hotter fire, and better flavor.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky