Question about heat element placement.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

texbowhunter316

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 31, 2014
Texas
I’m starting my smoker build this 8 day break and I was wondering if it mattered if the element was above or below my smoker tube?
This may take a while so I want most of the design stuff done right the first time.
I know I will think of something I wish I added after it’s finished though!!!

It will be electric so I hope there isn’t much fire.
I also need to do some research on the Auberins PID and fan kits.

It will be mostly for sausage so I only need it to get to 180 or so. My MES 40 has been good but it’s a little small.

Last edited:
I suggest the smoke tube below the heat source... If the pellets get warm, they burn up REALLY fast....
That being said, when using propane, flame consumes smoke so above the burner, off to the side to avoid the heat or in a mail box mod...

Reactions: elsos
Thanks Edge and Dave. This may turn into a propane smoker if I can’t get up to temp.
I worry about achieving consistent low temps with propane.

If you are plan to run around 180, I would go electric. Your MES40 would be perfect. Yes for Auber PID 1510ELPM controller. Have you considered running a mailbox mod for your tube?

Cmayna, I have done the mod with an old smoke hollow, but not the mes 40.
I’m sure it would be good with the Masterbuilt, I’m just needing a larger chamber.
I’m looking at the AuberWSD-1500H-W which may be overkill (don’t know much about PIDs but what I’ve learned on here)
And the Auber CIRFAN 40.

Reactions: rjob
If you have a 1200 element in your 40, then a 1500 watt controller is a perfect match. Far from being an overkill.

This may turn into a propane smoker if I can’t get up to temp.

I was looking for what size smoker you plan on building ??

I had a 3' x 3' x 6' and used two heat elements from an old oven (bake and broil from same oven)... Of coarse it was 220v ... I could get it to 300`+ with no problem... although I never cooked above 180` ... being it was just a plywood smokehouse I never ran high heat... just wanted that much heat for opening and closing of the door ...

I would suggest putting smoker tube as far away from element as possible on the bottom...

JckD, this started at 3’x3’x6’ but I think it’s going to be 30”x30”x6’. I would like to stay 110v but can get 220 if I need to.
It now looks like I will have to work OT all weekend so the start may be delayed.
I have a buddy that owns an industrial insulation company so I’m hoping he can steer me in the right direction on insulation. I.E. donate some!!!

I did see somebody had gotten a 1800w 110v element somewhere on here... but if I remember correctly it had a controller built into it... The biggest 110v element I've seen is 1500w... I couldn't get my smokehouse up to temp with that.. but then again it wasn't insulated ether .. That's why I went with the oven elements ...

I was looking for what size smoker you plan on building ??

I had a 3' x 3' x 6' and used two heat elements from an old oven (bake and broil from same oven)... Of coarse it was 220v ... I could get it to 300`+ with no problem... although I never cooked above 180` ... being it was just a plywood smokehouse I never ran high heat... just wanted that much heat for opening and closing of the door ...

I would suggest putting smoker tube as far away from element as possible on the bottom...

I totally agree, I have a fridge smoker with a 220v stove top element. It is plenty to heat up the fridge. I have a external mailbox for smoke source. I did try putting in a Tube smoker (AMNTS) inside, and it was hard to keep the AMNTS lit with the tube above the element, I have never had problems with the AMNTS staying lit in the mailbox.

Reactions: daveomak
Does anyone know if I could use the 110 outlet on the Auber pid that is for smoke generator to run the cirfan 40?
It seems all you have to do is program for smoke generator to run for each step and that would power the fan.
I’m hoping to cut down on cords out of the smoker.

If it's not being used for a smoke generator I would assume you could plug the fan in... thinking it will be on all the time... See what others say that have the actual unit ...

Well, the heating element is on its way.
I have to call Auber tomorrow, it says on their webpage they have to custom make a mounting tube for walls over 2.5 inches. Hope that doesn’t hurt to bad.
Speaking of hurting, plywood has went up $4 in one week here.

The floor, which will be insulated
276B579B-8249-48F5-BFD4-AC2DB3F9D435.jpeg

Floor and legs.
There is a guy in Wisconsin named Ron who has an outdoor/hunting blog. Googling hunting I ran across his smoker build. I’m taking the basic design from him and adding a few of my own ideas.
So if you come across this Ron, thanks!!
Hope you had a good hunting season!!!

Attachments

• 9FC6274E-B94B-4149-A03F-195AF7FFC2CC.jpeg
    9FC6274E-B94B-4149-A03F-195AF7FFC2CC.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: elsos
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky