Question about electric element sizing for internal capacity of offset smoker.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ncsmoker95

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
Hi all,

This may not be the right place for this thread so if The Mods want to move it to some sort of build forum that might be appropriate. On my phone I didn't see such a subforum so I figured I'd start off here.

So having decided I'm not enough of a boy scout to keep a very steady fire going in my offset brinkman.....

I have decided that electrifying the thing is probably the way to go, And to try to do it DIY's since I have an extremely low budget and cannot simply go buy a whole new smoker of some kind.

Over the weekend I took the element out of a brinkmann R2D2 upright smoker and put it in the fire Box of the bigger smoker.

A 1650 W element there did not get above a 150゚ even in the smoke Box oddly enough.

Does anyone have any experience with calculating the wattage needed for heating a certain interior size space in the smoker?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky