Question about a Char-Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ncsmoker95

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
Hi everyone --

I bought the 4-burner Char-Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial series from Lowes awhile back, after my first Char-Broil finally died after 20+ years.
Really like CharBroil for their price point - just can't budget for the same size Weber or other.

However - have a problem that I'm not sure whether should be this way or not.

When I run the grill screaming hot - up to 400-500deg.

- the front rail of the grill, the flat area that the lid lands on and which extends out and turns down to where the gas valves are.

That gets to be WAY over 250 degrees - I have gotten 2nd degree burns on my knuckles several times.
Same is true of the sides of the grill up alongside the top surfaces of the work tables on either side.

I would have thought that the grill burner "basket" would be insulated by an airgap or some sort of heat-blocking material so that heat doesn't so easily
transfer to the stainless steel frame of the grill.

I don't recall my other grill doing this and I'm wondering if Lowes didn't assemble it correctly or something?

Have had for several months now, and so there's no going back to the 16-year old at Lowes and asking him if he used all the parts ;-)

Thanks for any thoughts on why there's so much heat transfer to the main stainless steel chassis.

Tim

Can't answer but, I am interested in these and look forward to responses and even a more detailed review if you have the time...JJ

I've an older Char-Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial 5 burner and have to say it's simply the way it's put together.
It's steel bolted to steel, and at 400°-500°+ there is going to be transference.
Mine isn't bad about it on the side table or side burner, within 4" of the firebox it can be hot, but the lip in front of the lid, yeah, that gets HOT!

Thanks!

I thought something was going badly wrong!

I think what I'll do is look for a fireproof high temp mat and cut a strip to lay up there.

Other than that - to give a review - it's a great grill!

I've an older Char-Broil Tru-Infrared Commercial 5 burner and have to say it's simply the way it's put together.
It's steel bolted to steel, and at 400°-500°+ there is going to be transference.
Mine isn't bad about it on the side table or side burner, within 4" of the firebox it can be hot, but the lip in front of the lid, yeah, that gets HOT!

Reactions: chef jimmyj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky