Quest for my perfect blue flame for my vertical offset smoker ( mission accomplished )

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

EaOutlaw1969

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 25, 2019
Lake Worth, Florida
Hi fellow smoke addicts in my series of modifications to my smoker my main goal with my conversion is to get a perfect easy to control blue soot free fuel efficient flame.
Well finally I got it.
Sifting through the mass amount of miss information online with conversions caused me to buy the wrong parts needlessly ( thankfully the parts I purchased that I did not need were inexpensive )
I will post the model number and website of the parts I used in a later post if there is enough interest.
This is just a victory post - dance showing how happy I am that I got want I always wanted with this conversion a easy to control perfect blue flame that is capable of super low temperatures and much higher than I need temperatures. ( most of my Smoke sessions will be done at the 225-250 degree range ( anything higher I will just use my other grill )
Pictures to follow. ( note a little soot on the bottom of my cast iron pan was from the last smoke session before my final change to my smoker).

IMG_3341.JPG
IMG_3340.JPG
IMG_3338.JPG
IMG_3337.JPG
IMG_3336.JPG
IMG_3298.JPG

Reactions: daveomak
King Kooker WKAF1B High Pressure Burner with Orifice Block ( orifice not needed ) you will need the Tejas orifice control valve

regulator is a replacement for my Dyna Glo 5 burner grill 40k BTU/H- 80K BTU/H

I plan on buying this one for the added stainless hose length and it goes a little hotter.

I am also using a Tejas C-CVO125 1/8" MNPT x 3/8" MGF

https://tejassmokers.com/Brass-Fittings-Valves/22 ( scroll pretty far down the list to find it )

C-CVO - Control Valve Orifice Fitting, MNPT x 3/8" MGF # 61 orfice for high pressure

I also used a 18' flared copper line extension to keep the heat away from the flexible rubber line ( parts to make may be available at a local hardware shop for less money )
https://pantherrvproducts.com/rv-3-8-flared-fitting-copper-line-extension-18/

Reactions: daveomak
That is a good looking flame!
Mine always has some orange tips.
Al
I was having that blue flames with orange tips plus yellow if I turned it up too high and high fuel consumption using the high pressure adjustable regulator ( which made adjusting the flame very very touchy ) now I can adjust the flow as you should with turning the knob to notice a change in the flame and heat not just touching it.

Gonna have to look into that!
Thank you!
Al
Keep in mind I just added the regulator today and have not heated up the smoker loaded with food at 225 or higher. It is running great at 180 right now but you can tell it is a less powerful flame and it does take longer to heat up my smoker. I do plan on getting the regulator on amazon that goes up to 95k BTU for a little more heat if needed and to keep the spare dyna flo regulator as a spare for my grill.

My last smoke session I smoked two nice sized Porterhouse steaks for a nice reverse sear, knowing my propane tank was low it weighed around 19.4 pounds I kept a close eye on the flame and heat at the fire box. I noticed my nice blue flame that I had was no longer nice and blue it had a blue with a lot of orange in it. I wanted to replace the regulator anyways so I could keep my Spare regulator for my Dyna Glo grill a good working spare so I went ahead and ordered a replacement with a stainless hose

I also purchased a third propane tank so I always have on hand a full tank on hand.

With my new regulator installed and running a full tank I noticed my once for a brief time perfect blue flame was not so perfect. At the lowest possible setting the flame was nice and blue but was hunting ( I guess from the cheap regulator and it is not designed to run at such a low setting).

At the normal flame height to get my smoker up to 225 the flame was nice and blue but had more orange in the flame than I liked.

I noticed a bunch of ash from previous smoke sessions were at the bottom of my fire box, so I removed the lower fire box and blew it out and the burner with compressed air.

After this I reinstalled it and retested it and my flame is back to nice and blue with only hints of orange here and there.

From all of this I have learned dust in the air seems to contaminate the flame ( so I need to clean out any ash bits in my fire box after each smoke session ) and dust in the air from my dirty back porch needs to be kept up with better. ( wind off of the lake and our landscapers keep blowing dirt and dust under our screens with my bad back I have not kept up with either LOL )

I also think I want to look into getting a quality dual stage propane regulator but I am unsure which one I should go with. I have a Stainless hose flared on one side and NPT on the other that I could use.

I will say even with orange in the flame my cast iron pot had no signs of any black soot.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky