Q's on Improving a block pit smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fivetricks

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 7, 2017
Flint, Michigan
Hello friends.

Can't tell you the time I've spent on your wonderful forum. More of a reader than a writer as you can tell by my poor post count.

Anywho. I built a large-ish block smoker for doing whole hogs, large amounts of food for big party's, etc.

I'm mostly satisfied with the smoker for what it is, outside of the amounts of hours it takes to pre heat, but with a large cooking area, what can you do. I've done hogs, 2 dozen chickens, 15 racks of ribs on it. It does turn out nice food and drafts well.

I neglected to fill the void in the block with sand, admittedly. So that will be a priority before the next cook, which won't be until next year

My two questions are:

1. The bottom of my firebox is lined with 100 year old brick that used to line the streets of a local City. They do fantastic with the heat, but the surrounding cinder blicks do not.

Had I taken a picture after the most recent smoke, you will see about 80% of the blocks are cracked from the heat.

I know that fire brick exists, but I'd still have to have the cinder inlet and stacking all of that new brick in the firebox seems like it would take away a bunch of space, and fall in on itself when the stacks of it fell or the wood hit it,etc.

Question #2:

See the lid in the first pic? That's a 3/16 steel plate. Heavier than well... It's heavy. I'd like to devise some sort of lift system for the lid.

I installed handles before the cook, but they get insanely hot and the heat is so intense that I ended up having to drop the lid back on and it cracked all of my cap block.

In my head I can see installing eye bolts on the lid and having some sort of overhead method for gaining the leverage needed to lift the plate. It's here where I struggle.

I could cobble some garbage up in the end, but I figured I'd turn to smarter minds BEFORE I created the expensive, inefficient solution. Instead of after like I normally do.

Thanks for all of your attention and any input you may have!

Last edited:
thanks for joining in... First thing is were gonna need pics (many pics) so everybody can see what you got going... Not much I can say until seen... I'm thinking things shouldn't get that hot (firebox overheating) ??

Unfortunately, the pit is about 100 miles from my casa , so the pics you see are the pics I have.

Those pics pretty much cover what I'm working with though. If you have any follow-up questions, I'm happy to answer them :-)

I would imagine that the firebox is well overheated yes. Many of the blocks are thick wall block and take forever to heat. So combine that with my overall pit inexperience, you get a hot firebox.

I was pretreating any wood that went in on top of the lid do that it was nice and black before it went in the firebox. If the firebox wasn't ready for more fuel, the pretreated wood went to another area where it could continue to burn until the firebox needed more fuel.

To give you an idea, the dried wook would ignite within 3 mins or so of sitting on the lid :-S

I tried a less aggressive approach but couldn't get more than about 180 degrees in the pit area.

There are no real leaks on the whole unit either

Just information to answer questions I for see coming

Yup agree with Keith had one at a club and we did line it with fire brick and everything was mortared in place not just stacked.

Warren

Really? Have I don't something wrong?

In my view of the post, there are 2 pictures below the paragraph ending in "big party's, etc"

And another in the paragraph ending in cinder blocks do not.

I bet I have the permissions set wrong. Let me go and change those...

My apologies

Looks like you have 1 block turned on it's side for the smoke chamber inlet and it is kinda low. I would turn the 2 blocks above it on their side for a total of three blocks allowing air and heat to enter the smoking chamber. All your heat has been going straight up through the metal cover.

My block pit looks like the same size as yours but taller and I put the fire right inside it on one end. I like your firebox it just needs some airflow into the smoker and some 1.25 x 4 x 9 fire brick to protect the concrete blocks. You should be able to burn a smaller fire with more efficiency.

Thanks for the response. Yes, I've since considered digging down the firebox to lower it, therefore "raising" that inlet. Flipping more bricks is a good idea too, I just wondered if that would lead to "too much" inlet

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky