Putting the 14.5" WSM to the test

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
Did another run on the new WSM. In the first run I felt that the stock therm was not accurate. This run I put one of the iGrill2 therms right with the stock therm probe. The other iGrill2 probe was at grate level.

The stock therm was 30 lower than the iGrill at the same level. The difference from grate to there on the iGrill probes was 5-10 degrees.

As is the norm, the stock therm is not accurate.

Last edited:
Yeah, I haven't found a OEM thermometer on any of my cookers that had better than 95% accuracy. I'm firing up my WSM 18 today...haven't used it for a while, so I don't even remember the grate to lid temp variance anymore...
icon_redface.gif
...my only excuse is that I've been cooking with my Weber kettles the whole time.

I ditched the deep Weber pan last winter for a shallow Brinkmann Gourmet pan in my WSM...leaves more space between the coals and pan. Seems like my lower grate runs about 10-15* hotter than the upper grate without water and just a foil liner in the pan.

Time to dig out a couple pit probes and relearn my WMS temps.

Eric

Yeah I've never found one that works either. That's why on all my builds I've never installed a permanent one. Plus I like to know the pit temp at the grate where I'm cooking not place else.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky