Pure Beef Bliss: Two Full 103 Cut Subprimal Rib Sections (A Few Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well I went and cut up the larger of the two roasts. I cut 4 tomahawk rib eyes, 1 rack of short ribs, one 3-bone prime rib, and got a pile of scraps for soup stock. Please note that I am not a butcher so the artistry of the cutting is not really great. I got the cuts I wanted though so I'm happy with that.

006.jpg

007.jpg

The first two tomahawk steaks I've ever cut. I'm ok with how they look. Total weight on these two before trimming was 8 pounds 5 ounces. Those are some big steaks!!
008.jpg

Here is the whole pile before vac sealing
010.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg

I made the mistake of sending a pic to a friend of mine and she desperately wanted a couple of the tomahawks so I agreed to sell them to her. She doesn't have a smoker so I have them on the Rec Tec right now. Gonna put a couple hours of heavy smoke on them and she's gonna finish sear them on a cast iron griddle. I really didn't want to part with them but oh well....guess I'll just have to order another full rib section :emoji_laughing:

This was one fun project!!
Robert

Whatever you do, don't show them to your nearby in-laws! (Speaking from experience...)

Being that our nearest in-laws are 550 miles away, gratefully I don't have that problem to deal with. Now a few neighbors on the other hand....They seem to recognize those big boxes sitting on the front porch when I get a CPB order delivered :emoji_astonished:

Robert

Damnit man you are making my mouth water just looking at that pile of beef. Did I read that right?!? 2 tomahawks steaks combined were 8+ pounds? That's insane.

Lol you know you have one hell of a roast when you have to bust out the sawzall

Very nice. 109 Exports are convenient but no where near as much fun! Enjoy. I need to try and find a Rib Roast to play with myself...JJ

Very nice. 109 Exports are convenient but no where near as much fun! Enjoy. I need to try and find a Rib Roast to play with myself...JJ

Can't wait to see what you do with it if you're able to get hands on one. That's something I've never seen you prepare and post. It's be nice to learn a few tricks from a true chef.

Robert

Damnit man you are making my mouth water just looking at that pile of beef. Did I read that right?!? 2 tomahawks steaks combined were 8+ pounds? That's insane.

That is correct. They were 8 pounds 5 ounces total weight combined. Even after trimming, using the half pound of meat per person AND taking into account the inedible bone, the larger of the two steaks will feed 7 people. At that point I have to ask: is it a steak or a roast??

Lol you know you have one hell of a roast when you have to bust out the sawzall

Yep. Thought about using the band saw but was afraid the table would be too small and it has a fine tooth blade on it that might gum up with bone material. I used a coarse tooth wood blade in the Sawzall and sterilized it with the same stuff I use for sterilizing my beer making equipment. Tracy made the mistake of walking in as I was about half way through separating the rib section from the roast and she about blew up with me using wood working tools in the kitchen. Oh well...I survived the onslaught to cut up the other roast if I decide to do it. May just trim the bones down on it and cook the whole thing in one chunk. That'd make one monster prime rib!!

Robert

Wow! Nice knife work! Those steaks look perfect.

Mariko!! How are you? Been a while. Thanks for the kind words. Knife work was ok but I've spent a lot more hours with a Sawzall in my hand than a knife. I could shave with one of those things :emoji_astonished: Sure was great to see you again. Hopefully you'll show your smiling face a bit more often.

Robert

Mariko!! How are you? Been a while. Thanks for the kind words. Knife work was ok but I've spent a lot more hours with a Sawzall in my hand than a knife. I could shave with one of those things :emoji_astonished: Sure was great to see you again. Hopefully you'll show your smiling face a bit more often.

Robert
Hi Robert! I'm still poking around on here for more smoking inspiration for when it finally stops dumping rain out here. We've been too busy and living off off curries and stir fry lately - I think I actually took pictures to post at some point!
p.s. - Still absolutely loving the garlic oil :)

giphy.gif

Finally found ya! :emoji_grin:

Awesome job and great breakdown! Those are some hearty Tomahawks! Just the way they should be. Now... as for that other roast... today is hopefully the day!

Finally found ya! :emoji_grin:

Awesome job and great breakdown! Those are some hearty Tomahawks! Just the way they should be. Now... as for that other roast... today is hopefully the day!

I'm not hard to find. You on the other hand are difficult to catch up with at times :emoji_laughing: I had a thought however. I don't know if you're planning to do the roast whole or break it down as I did. If you don't have the Sawzall, leave yourself a few minutes when you come get it and we can cut it down here if you want. I'm about halfway inclined to order another one for you and keep that due to it being smaller and cook the whole thing one day for a huge feast for a bunch of friends. Haven't decided yet though....keep me posted on an ETA.

Might just have to order another one....
Robert

Nice job Robert!

Boy I would love to try one of those things....

LIKE!

Well sir, all ya gotta do is jump a plane and come visit. We'd love to have you guys, and the accommodations are pretty nice. I can promise a comfortable place to sleep and at least a moderately decent meal :emoji_astonished:

Hamburgers maybe?
Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky