Pullstrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Had some time for smoker therapy yesterday finally. Had been planning to do some more pulled pastrami to go with my 4 gallons of homemade kraut for Reubens. I scored 14 of these corned beef points a month or so ago @ $1.99 / lbs.
34A2AA65-5434-46F2-B333-425877D218E3.jpeg
Five of them into a food grade bucket of water overnight to desalinate a little.
4B9ABF77-3A0B-494D-9597-E1FCB5AB6A98.jpeg
550D8817-E173-4312-8D46-1B91038F6E39.jpeg
Rub is a Katz knockoff recipe from Amazing rubs I’ve used for a long time. I do the version with part powders and part crushed spices. I like those coarse bits on the bark. All rubbed up and back to frig overnight.
4CDC6398-AA76-4884-A437-7F57DF393BE6.jpeg
CCF7217A-D6E9-4923-9CBF-D4F1B6FE007F.jpeg
Started running the Lang at 250 for a few hours then coasted up to 275F.Also threw in a couple butts , green beans with bacon and onion and a spin on smokin peachey smokin peachey beans as my daughter loves peaches.https://youtu.be/1PscELkOF0w At about 165F I moved them all into a pan on a wire rack with some beef broth in the bottom. Covered tightly and bsck into the smoker to finish at 203-205
E7DF04B3-A045-4C5E-8921-9F544CC04C4E.jpeg
CF4E20D8-BE8D-4709-B230-DC1730903872.jpeg
When they but temp I threw them in the Cambro for about an hour while the butt was finishing up. After that it was pull time. A couple were a little tighter but pulled with some coaxing while some pulled easily.The largest one was tight enough that I left it whole to slice thin on the slicer later for the freezer. Here is the pulled.
4C8AC5D6-92DC-4551-84F5-0F7867267848.jpeg
Made a test Reuben for the neighbor.Wide loaf light rye, pastrami, homemade kraut straight out of the crock, Swiss cheese and a homemade sauce. No pics as I was running out of energy with a lot of cleanup left to do. They flipped over it and his guests informed him they’d be moving in based on the pulled pork and sandwich sample LOL. Thanks for looking. Time to get all the food ready for guests in a couple hours.

That looks great! At $1.99/lb I don't blame you for stocking up.
Made Pastrami sandwiches for poker night a couple months ago. I used the flat and sliced it.

Reactions: jcam222
Heck yeah, Jeff, now THAT'S what I'm talking about!! That will make a fine reuben right there!
Thanks! I’m about to find out in an hour or so. Let’s hope the neighbor was right and its awesome! Honestly I didn’t eat one last night. After king smokes I often have not taste to eat what I cooked that day, kinda weird I guess. I usually murder it the next day.
That looks great! At $1.99/lb I don't blame you for stocking up.
Made Pastrami sandwiches for poker night a couple months ago. I used the flat and sliced it.
I’m all about freezer stocking on clearance. We have an awesome place that has crazy deals pretty often. I’m about to need another 20 lbs box of their second quality bacon @ $20 / 10 lbs. They have store ground 80/20 chuck / shank daily for $3.99 too.
Looks absolutely awesome!
Thanks! Planned on doing a plated sandwich pic but was whipped. Long day of cooking lol.

Reactions: 02ebz06
I’m all about freezer stocking on clearance. We have an awesome place that has crazy deals pretty often. I’m about to need another 20 lbs box of their second quality bacon @ $20 / 10 lbs. They have store ground 80/20 chuck / shank daily for $3.99 too.
My wife has banned me from meat departments until I cook up half of our packed freezers.

That right there is food artistry!! Simply amazing my friend and I'm betting there will be a whole bunch of VERY happy folks diving into that pullstrami. A simply gorgeous batch of food. Hey...wanna work a trade for some really good beef??? :emoji_laughing:

Robert

I could stick my face into a pile of that. Great job!
Thanks! It went over well for sure. Sent fixings home so my daughters family could have Reubens again later.
Fantastic work Jeff. Looks incredibly delicious.
Thanks! I nibbled on some pretty tasty. I’m usually playing waiter for guests and just nibble. I’ll murder a Reuben later tonight.
Looks great
Thanks! Your beans were well received too, a big bowl of those are headed to my daughters. My grandson informed her they were his.
That right there is food artistry!! Simply amazing my friend and I'm betting there will be a whole bunch of VERY happy folks diving into that pullstrami. A simply gorgeous batch of food. Hey...wanna work a trade for some really good beef??? :emoji_laughing:

Robert
Thanks so much. I’m always up for barter haha

You had me at 4 gallons of kraut and 14 points for 1.99 a lb.........

Looks great! Woulda never thought to pull a corned brisket like that, bet it made a great sandwich, especially with the homemade kraut - good stuff!

Looks fantastic, Jeff. Gonna make some top rate reubens.
Gary
Thanks, I finally wolfed one last night. Tasty!
Such great color there! Perfect!!
Appreciate it!
Fantastic Jeff, a lot of work , but lots of good eats for a while

David
Thanks David! Yep it made for a long day from start to finish of cleanup.
You had me at 4 gallons of kraut and 14 points for 1.99 a lb.........
Volume baby!! Ha I don’t know how to cook a little.
Looks great! Woulda never thought to pull a corned brisket like that, bet it made a great sandwich, especially with the homemade kraut - good stuff!
Nice change from sliced. I do love my homemade kraut.
14 WOW! That does look great though.
Couldn’t resist at that price. Thanks
Nice work bud !
Thanks Rich!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky