1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Pulled Pork

Discussion in 'Pellet Smokers' started by mike243, Jun 12, 2019 at 2:55 AM.

1. mike243

mike243 Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Got 3 Butts on for my wife's work family, made up some finishing sauce per everybody's favorite here, will have to test drive a sandwich for breakfast when I pull them shortly , anybody buy 1 of the tools you use a drill with to shred meat with? will it work for beef chicken ect? , I see 1 with round pins then with 3 blade style that looks like it may cut some also. thanks for looking

2. mike243

3. mike243

7-9-12 lbs of pork on the Austin XL since last nite about 6:30, 196-195 in the 2 larger cuts about 1 hrs ago running at 225, stepped it up to 250 to finish about 530 or so. LJ hickory and char/hickory blend, guys the LJ is on sale for $4.99 a bag at Rural King if you got 1 close,going to load up this weekend if they haven't run out,limit 10 bags per customer

4. mike243

Oh and by the way,throw a little $ in the kitty and get rid of all the ads and popup stuff and be a premier member,its well worth it imo :emoji_sunglasses::emoji_wink:

5. mike243

E7E26864-D5F2-4ED3-A901-EE1418FF45B4.jpeg

SecondHandSmoker and Jason S. like this.
  6. mike243

also still had a few red embers in the tube and as you can see I used it this time. not sure it makes a big difference but it aint hurting a thing lol

7. gmc2003

gmc2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Your PP looks good to me. I still use two forks and my fingers for pulling pork. Sorry no help.

Chris

8. fivetricks

fivetricks Smoking Fanatic

+1 on using two forks. I use the larger serving forks myself. I like the bigger shreds they leave. I have two sets of those silly meat claw things (freebies that came with other smoking items). I literally can't give them away.

9. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Great looking cook. I just hand shred.

Warren

10. ostrichsak

ostrichsak Meat Mopper

I got a pair of the bear claws or whatever they are for Christmas and love them. Makes the task much quicker if nothing else and I like the larger shreds that come from them personally. In the end, it all tastes amazing though so I won't judge anyone's shredding method.

11. SecondHandSmoker

SecondHandSmoker Smoking Fanatic ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I've seen that attatchment for puuling meat and wondered how well it works too.
    Still using forks here as well.

12. krj

krj Meat Mopper

I haven't actually used the drill attachment before, but my uncle made one himself to use and said worked well. For 3-4 butts I just pull by hand, but for anymore than that I have used a hand mixer with the beater attachments. Same concept as the drill. One of these days I'm gonna get a good pair of the bear claws, I have the cheap wire style ones, and was not impressed using them at all.

13. SmokinVOLfan

SmokinVOLfan Master of the Pit

Great looking PP? Hope you got those butts on sale Kroger had them for $.99 lb last week!

I've seen the drill attachment but after using several different methods including the claws I just went back to hand shredding. Wife hates it if she finds a big glump of fat in the PP

14. Bearcarver

Bearcarver SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Group Lead OTBS Member

Nice Job, Mike!!
    Looks Great!
    Like.

I used 2 Forks for years, but I got a Pair of Bear Claws for Christmas last year, and it sure is a lot easier with those.
    Can't help you with the Pulling with a Drill.

Bear

15. bregent

bregent Master of the Pit OTBS Member

My wife got me a set of those last year for my birthday. I acted like it was something I always wanted, even though I really thought there were a silly waste of space. But when I tried them I was impressed with how well they actually worked compared to forks or by hand. It really makes quick work, and especially useful if you are doing several butts. They're also great for lifting big hot hunks of pork or beef, and easier to clean than BBQ gloves.

ostrichsak likes this.
  16. mike243

If you get the pork to the correct temp/rendering it will fall apart when you squeeze a handful of it,this was pulled at 203 and it was very easy to pull, on the other hand with time constraints a drill assisted shredder would make short work on some that was still in the 190's and maybe a little tuff to pull,chicken is hard for me to ever shred properly for some reason. Made 1/2 gal of baked beans with a lbs of sausage in it & some real maple syrup ,that always hits the spot

17. mike243

I have a pair of plastic bear paws but are a pain to use

fivetricks likes this.