Pulled Pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

markyque

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 19, 2013
Prior Lake MN
I'm smoking an 8lb butt for a birthday party tomorrow and my POS Taylor thermometer crapped out.  No problem...I just use my instant read.  As I'm probing around I noticed that the bone in side is 10-15 degrees behind the other side.  Cut it in half and let the bone in side run another hour.  Anyone else experience this?

All the time on larger cuts, I will see temp differences like that all over in different areas of the cut. That's why i don't concern myself too much with temps on butts and just probe for tenderness.

I use the Sam Club cyro twin packs.  If the bone-in side is going to lag behind an hour, I'm inclined to cut it in half before smoking.  Potential advantages would be more bark, faster cook time and more consistent product...no?!

That is correct! More surface area = More bark! Smaller mass = Faster cook time!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky