Pulled Pork Sunday - Trial Run

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Any "bark" will be formed before you pull and rest it. All the towel/cooler resting does is let the fatty juices render out into the meat to get it really tender (It actually continues to cook in the cooler!). As far as using a lot of charcoal, you won't have to use so much when the outside temps get higher. At least I hope so. We're in the same neck of the woods and I did a pastrami on my new offset Sunday and really burned through the charcoal & wood! Bring on the warm weather, please!
Dan
yeahi know the bark forms during the cooking process on the smoker. What I meant was, once it goes into the cooler to rest, it seems to soften up the bark and is more like skin.

Im looking for a harder bark. I've already done some research and noticed I may not have gave it enough sugar for the caramelization I was looking for.

I was more curious to know if the bark will stay "barky" if I wrap and place in the cooler.

yeahi know the bark forms during the cooking process on the smoker. What I meant was, once it goes into the cooler to rest, it seems to soften up the bark and is more like skin.

Im looking for a harder bark. I've already done some research and noticed I may not have gave it enough sugar for the caramelization I was looking for.

I was more curious to know if the bark will stay "barky" if I wrap and place in the cooler.
That I can't tell you, mkriet. Maybe someone will chime in. We're not that cocerned with bark for PP.

I dont put it in a towel or a cooler. I smoke mine without putting in pan or aluminum foil. I cook to 205-210. Thats when i take it out of smoker then let it rest on stove for 45 mins or so. Thats when i wrap it is while it rests. So maybe if ya dont put it in a pan and when ya pull it from smoker then towel it. That might allow more bark. But it took me 12 or 13 hours on 9.5#er

I never put mine in a cooler! I pull pork off smoker at 195 and wrap in foil and wrap in 2 beach towels. Let sit 2 hrs and the bark is AMAZING! The best part IMO! Hope this helps! if you put in a cooler it will continue to cook! At 195 my pork is absolute perfect!

I never put mine in a cooler! I pull pork off smoker at 195 and wrap in foil and wrap in 2 beach towels. Let sit 2 hrs and the bark is AMAZING! The best part IMO! Hope this helps! if you put in a cooler it will continue to cook! At 195 my pork is absolute perfect!

Do you cook the whole time on smoker without wrapping?

Depends on what smoker I am using if I use electric I do not wrap at all if I am using my big all wood smoker then yes I do wrap because I think it gets to crunchy of a bark on it! But that is just my opinion! Any other questions just ask man !

Depends on what smoker I am using if I use electric I do not wrap at all if I am using my big all wood smoker then yes I do wrap because I think it gets to crunchy of a bark on it! But that is just my opinion! Any other questions just ask man !

How long do you wait till you wrap? 160*, 180*?

To be honest I go by color and feel. If it looks like it's getting dark and crunchy to the feel then I wrap!

So when you are smoking with all would as heat source it does not take but about 4 hrs to start getting dark! So then I wrap with foil.

I've found that if I want to get good bark on my pork butt, I don't foil it while cooking. I'll let it go uncovered up to about 195. Then I wrap it in foil and into a cooler with towels. The bark has always turned out well when I have done this. I'll only foil it while cooking if I need to speed up the process a bit. It does cook faster, but because your sort of steaming the meat, the bark doesn't turn out as well.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky