Pulled Pork Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

swalker

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
NW Arkansas
Last weekend I smoked a pork butt roast and made pulled pork with Jeff's fantastic finishing sauce. I put in another one at 4am this morning. It turned out so well, I want to do another one. Is this what most of you smoke to make pulled pork? The store had sirloin roast, shoulder roasts and one butt roast. So I got the butt roast. Just wondering if any of these roasts will pull ok. Or is there one particular one you usually get for making pulled pork?

Your comments greatly appreciated.

Steve

Steve,
Last weekend I did a pair of picnics for a crowd I had here. They pulled very well!

When you do a picnic you have to take off the rind. Do so carefully with a sharp knife and leave as much of the fat as possible. Then smoke fat side down.

The rind can be cut into small squares and deep fried for cracklins for your cornbread.

Cheers!

Steve,

That cut of pork has several names. The one I use is usually labeled as Boston Butt. Maybe Dutch will jump in here on this one.

Meowey

I am sold on the butts. The picnic has a higher fat content, and is great when pulled with the butt (the two make up the whold shoulder). At competitions most of the competitors use butts for their turn ins.

Thanks for the help guys...I think I am sticking with the boston butts too.

Got one one now and am doing my first meatloaf tomorrow...per Meowey's instructions....It will have to be great!!!

Thanks again, Steve

I prefer the bone-in butts... While I can't say for certain that the bone adds any flavor, I like to think that it does... AND! the bone is the perfect way to tell when the butts reaches that pullable state that most of us strive to achieve. When the bone wiggles freely or pulls out clean, dat butt be done!

To each thier own...

James.

JamesB,
Your exactly right
wink.gif
Any cut of meat is better with the bone in. And yes it does add flavor, especially if your braising.

Bone-in butts are the best for pulled............because my dog always wants something out of the deal, so we give her that bone. :lol:

Really, I think it adds to the flavor.

Bone-in makes for a sweeter meat!! I prefer to use butts for pulled pork but have use the picnic shoulder as well. In regards to the picnic, there is a muscle that just will not pull. I just set it off to the side and later will chop it up for my own sammich.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky