Pulled Pork - no wrap

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bensonssmoke

Original poster
Sep 6, 2016
Southern California Beach area
I am trying a 10 lb Pork Butt without wrapping. I have never not wrapped, and am hoping I don’t regret this. I am 8 hours in so far at 210 degrees, and internal sits right now at 165 degrees.

My nephew is home from college for first time (Freshmen), and he wants some Pulled Pork - his favorite. I cannot let him down.

No wrap too big a risk? I really want to up my game on bark impact, that is why I am avoiding the wrap. Thoughts?

I never wrap. do a mustard cover, then some dry rub. most important to me is internal temp regardless temp used or time take it to 201--205. my neighbor says i am her fav bar-b-q joint.. go for it, but allow for a long time smoke,, good luck....

Excellent! Do you cook right on the grate, or in a pan? I would like to have some juices for post-pull to mix back in. Don’t have that without wrap or pan. I am going straight on the grate.

You're smoking at 210? Don't be afraid to increase your temperature, pork butts can take a good bit of heat, i usually do mine at 250 or 275, sometimes wrap sometimes not... i have yet have PP that wasn't good, some more tender than others but thats cuase i was impatient and didnt let it get up to a higher internal... big thing is how long you let it rest, minimum 1-1.5 hrs, I've even gone as long as 3-4 hrs

For juices make a tin foil container and sit it under your pork to catch the drippings.

I normally go at 235 for Pork Butts, but I wanted to go over night and work on a great bark. I have let them sit in cooler wrapped in towels for as long as 5+ hours. I just don’t want a dry puller Pork because of not wrapping. I went 210 to prolong the cook.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky