Pulled Pork for 40 ppl

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dave from mesa

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 8, 2009
Mesa, az
Wife's 65th B-day i a couple of weeks. We are going to have about 40 ppl over. Going to smoke some pork butt for pulled pork. Have no idea how much pork butts to cook. I know you lose about 30-40% so how many pounds should I start with.

Another thing is I am thinking of injecting it. Not sure what I am gong to use yet. Do any of you do this? What would you recommend?

thanks

Depending how you serve it...

I always assume 50% loss and 1/3rd pound per/person to be safe, nothing wrong with leftovers.

Using the 1/4 pound rule and a 50% loss during cook 20 pounds uncooked will give yo 40, 1/4 lb sandwiches.

I always suggest to folks to use slider rolls... you would be amazed at how many half eaten sanwiches will end up in the trash.

Rednecks suggestion would give you 48 sandwiches easy.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers guys. Still waiting for the final count. Will see in a week or so.

thanks again

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky