Pulled Pork for 30, Help!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

serokk

Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Can I prepare these the day before for 30 people, 2 sandwiches each or so? Can I smoke them overnight without sacrificing anything? I leave for work around 5:30 am so I would need to have them in the cooler by then I would guess. I'm just wondering about the time frame here. Smoke, sleep, take to work. Help!!!

Last edited:
Alot of us have done overnight smokes. and they do work but i don't know that i'd try one b4 a work day.

I figure 1/3 lb per person per sammie. And figuring a 30% loss  Raw vs cooked.

I'd start w/ 1 lb of meat per person.

If you have to have the meat in the ice chest and ready to go at 5:30 am and you don't do lunch till 11:30 am ,That's six hours resting. It may be easier to smoke it ahead of time and reheat for lunch.

Do I not want to let it rest in foil for such a long period of time then?

What would be the ideal way to make this ahead of time then?

Thank for the help!

6 hrs is longer than i have ever rested meat. The big thing is keeping the temp. above 140* .

i would smoke it ,pull it and freeze . then  the day before, thaw it and then reheat it either in a steamer pan ,nuke it ,in a pot w/ some type of liquid in it.

i have a vacum sealer and just seal and freeze . drop the sealed meat into simmering water to heat.

icon_cool.gif

I have to agree with Bob on this one. I would also suggest that you smoke it before you need the meat and then just re-heat it the day of. Now I personally like the steamer pot method but there are many way to re-heat.

Gotta remember I'll be at work but I'm sure I can find some way of reheating. Nuking scares me a little due to possible moisture loss. May have to add something before I nuke I would suppose. Thanks again!

I have gone 6 hours using the following method

Double wrap in foil with some liquid added to ensure it does not dry out 

Wrap tightly in bath towels and into a cooler with warm towels - heated them in the dryer to get them warm. At the 6 hour mark the meat was still so hot I had to use forks to pull it.   

Key thing is to make sure the cooler you use is completely full of towels to insulate and the use of warm towels helps.

Hope this helps

If you do cooler the meat for 6 hrs. (which I have done succesfully on several occasions), pull it off the smoker when your internal temps hit 190°. Then the carry over cooking in the cooler will finish it up and they will pull very well. If you go all the way to 200°+, the cooler them for 6 hrs. the meat will start to be a tad mushy - still tastes great, just mushy texture wise.

If you are reheating at work I would suggest a large crock pot. Pull the meat off of the smoker at 195°, rest for two hours, pull into large chunks, put in ziploc bags and store in fridge till day of lunch, put them in the crock pot on high with the saved liquids from smoking, after about 4 hrs. with the lid on it should be perfect for sandwiches.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky