Pulled Pork + Football

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cnet24

Original poster
Feb 24, 2019
Started a butt this AM at 6, and just took off the smoker in time for watching some football with friends. Letting it rest now before I pull- I’m very pleased with this one and can’t wait to dig in.

Cooked on my MES w/pellet maze. PID held at 270 throughout the entire cook.

A big thanks to the people and resources on this forum- I’ve learned a lot in my short time as a member.

345C5DE8-E31B-4936-A7ED-A592420526B6.jpeg

Thanks sandyut sandyut & Jabiru Jabiru .

This one was simple: mustard, salt (pink Himalayan salt is my preferred), and coarse ground black pepper.

I’ve been reading up on Aaron Franklin’s method and decided to give it a try. Today was my first smoke with no water in the pan and cooking hot and fast at 270 as opposed to low and slow at 225. Didn’t disappoint!

Reactions: jcam222
Should it be so dark? Im new to smoking sorta, and your bark looks soo dark. I never took it that far.

That is a great looking butt!
Love the bark, I bet it tasted great!
Congrats on getting a ride on the carousel!!
Al

Normally a bark that dark is due to way too much sugar in the rub or spritzing with a very sugary juice or soda pop. I'm not a fan of the burnt sugar taste at all, so I don't let my bark get blackened.
It all depends on what you like, there is no right or wrong in this situation, I prefer a dark mahogany color to my butts........."butt" that is just my personal preference.

Reactions: Crunch1224
Yes I think it all comes down to personal preference. I love having a little “crunch” with my pulled pork, as does the wife. I decided not wrap this one and smoke till the end.

No sugar on this one. I try and keep my cooks “Whole30”, so this was spritzing with apple cider vinegar

Reactions: forktender
The burnt sugar would explain it. I never took it that far, but then again no one likes my chili because its to hot.

Yes I think it all comes down to personal preference. I love having a little “crunch” with my pulled pork, as does the wife. I decided not wrap this one and smoke till the end.

No sugar on this one. I try and keep my cooks “Whole30”, so this was spritzing with apple cider vinegar
Nice bark man. Big like since no sugar. Got some friends not doing sugar anymore and say it's still good. Personaly I still gotta have that brown sugar.:emoji_blush:

That bark for me is perfect. Good looking cook there. I love doing them hot and fast as well. I do mine around 275 and often will let it cruise up to 300 after the first few hours.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky