Pulled Pork Cheesesteak

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Nate52

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 22, 2021
Queensbury, NY
Last weekend, we went to a family gathering and had the worst crock pot pulled pork ever made. I know a crock pot can be acceptable in some situations, but this was bad. So I had to pull a package of the good stuff out of the freezer to remind myself what its supposed to taste like.

I've been having a craving for a philly cheesesteak for a while, and figured I could get creative and combine the two.

Started off with some sliced red onion. The wife doesn't like peppers, so I left them out this time.
20220220_173832.jpg

I removed the onions and dumped in a package of pork and a couple tablespoons of butter. Once that warmed up, I added the onions back in and topped it all with a layer of provolone cheese. I let that melt under the lid for a bit. You can't really see that well here, but there is probably 6 slices mixed in here.
20220220_180345.jpg

Had to have some kind of condiment to go on it, so I mixed some mayo, bbq sauce, red wine vinegar and cayenne. Simple enough, but delicious.
20220220_174556.jpg

20220220_180651.jpg

Loaded on the pork, onion, and cheese mixture. I figured it would be really rich, so I topped them with some pickled red onions for the extra acidity. And of course a little more cheese and set under the broiler to melt.
20220220_181714.jpg

20220220_183259.jpg

20220220_183421.jpg

That looks fantastic!! I cannot help but think it was an absolute flavor bomb. Very well done.

So I had to pull a package of the good stuff out of the freezer to remind myself what its supposed to taste like.

I'm sorry to hear about your dilemma with the crock pot version but this made me laugh.

Robert

I'm sorry to hear about your dilemma with the crock pot version but this made me laugh.
It was awful!

There isn't much of a barbecue culture here in upstate NY, so pulled pork in a crock pot is considered socially acceptable by most.

But this was bad. My aunt cooked it in plain water. No seasoning. No other liquid. And then instead of removing it and pulling it on a cutting board or bowl, they pulled it in the crackpot, in the water and left it there. It was basically unflavored pork string soup. Nope.

That's a great looking sandwich . Nice work .

instead of removing it and pulling it on a cutting board or bowl, they pulled it in the crackpot,
My Sister does the same thing . Uses pork loin . First time she made it , my kids asked " What is that ? " Lol . I can't eat it .

There isn't much of a barbecue culture here in upstate NY

Between that and the climate I'm glad I don't live there :emoji_laughing: Thank God we have some really good forum members from that region who know what real BBQ is and are not afraid to go against the societal norms of the area.

My aunt cooked it in plain water

Oh yummy...poached pork. I'll take a zero, thank you.

It was basically unflavored pork string soup

UGH!! I was getting ready to go start breakfast but just lost my appetite. That sounds horrid. My heart goes out to you. Kinda makes you appreciate the real stuff though, doesn't it?

Robert

• Haha
Reactions: bauchjw
Between that and the climate I'm glad I don't live there :emoji_laughing: Thank God we have some really good forum members from that region who know what real BBQ is and are not afraid to go against the societal norms of the area.

Oh yummy...poached pork. I'll take a zero, thank you.

UGH!! I was getting ready to go start breakfast but just lost my appetite. That sounds horrid. My heart goes out to you. Kinda makes you appreciate the real stuff though, doesn't it?

Robert
The climate is great. Currently -4 with a fresh 8" of snow on the ground.

But I don't think I've ever had properly cooked pulled pork until I came to this site and started making it myself. We have a few good barbecue places within driving distance, but I always go for the brisket.

And sorry about your breakfast.

That sandwich looks phenomenal! With some added waffle fries to go with...very nice!

It sounds to me like an intervention is needed! You have been tortured long enough, the truth might hurt but in the end you won't have to suffer anymore!

Ryan

That sandwich looks phenomenal! With some added waffle fries to go with...very nice!

It sounds to me like an intervention is needed! You have been tortured long enough, the truth might hurt but in the end you won't have to suffer anymore!

Ryan
Thanks. The suffering is over. They were family from out of town and wanted to treat everyone. They're finally going home today.

We bought my brother a pellet smoker for his birthday last year. So now there are two people in the family learning how to cook food the way it was meant to be.

I had to post to mention I was somewhat skeptical at first with it being not a classic cheesesteak, etc. but by the final photo was like "man, I have GOT to make this soon with leftover pulled pork I have in the freezer" :emoji_grinning: It looks fantastic!

I'm sure someone here has tried this. I hope they're brave enough to step forward and admit it

Guilty as charged!

There isn't much of a barbecue culture here in upstate NY, so pulled pork in a crock pot is considered socially acceptable by most.

CSR's with sweet baby Rays sweet and spicy bbq sauce in the crock pot is delicious!
Us Heathen 315er's do just fine with the smoker in our neck of the woods!
Where are you at in upstate NY?

Last edited:
Guilty as charged!

CSR's with sweet baby Rays sweet and spicy bbq sauce in the crock pot is delicious!
Us Heathen 315er's do just fine with the smoker in our neck of the woods!
Where are you at in upstate NY?
I gotta know. How did the cheesecake turn out?

And I'm in Queensbury, between Saratoga and Lake George.

Reactions: Steve H
Looks Great, Nate!!
I could take care of one like that !!
I would not use the word "Cheesesteak" on it though---or "Philly".
Maybe "New York Porksteak"?
Like.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky