Pulled Pork and Smoked Turkey - Not a Bad Day

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

atwhitsend

Original poster
Sep 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Hope everyone is having a good holiday. Decided to cook up some BBQ for my family Christmas (and for the heck of it I also threw on a Turkey Breast). Used Meathead's Memphis Dust, no wrapping, cooking low and slow at 225 for approximately 12 hours in my 18.5" WSM. Had to replace the coals about every 5-6 hours since it was cold outside, but turned out alright. I used old stand-by Eastern NC vinegar sauce, but I also tried my hand at a classic SC mustard based sauce. Frankly, the SC sauce was better on the turkey than the BBQ, but that might be my Eastern NC traditions getting in the way. Since it only counts if you have pictures, enjoy.

Employing the "minion" method with apple and maple wood spread around there.
IMG_4605.JPG

Used some old cooking oil and a paper bag to get the coals lit up right.
IMG_0018.jpg

Lit coals in the middle and ready to let the smoker get up to temp:
IMG_4606.JPG

Used Meathead's Memphis Dust, plus sprayed some vegetable oil to make it soak in some:
IMG_0016.jpg

And on she goes. I filled up the water pan and also cut up some onions, apples and oranges to go in there as well (which you can see in the picture):
IMG_0020.jpg

After about 6 hours, starting to get a good bark on her.
IMG_0023.jpg

For the turkey, I used Meathead's Simon & Garfunkel rub (parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme - plus a little bit of orange zest). Sorry I didn't get any pictures of it beforehand, but here it is after smoking about 2 hours:
IMG_0025.jpg
Made sure the temperature on the breasts were around 160 before taking her off (and counting on some carry-over, which I got).

Here is the butt and as you can see, I got a nice clean pull on the bone:
IMG_0027.jpg

Here she is chopped up and about to be sauced (with a well-earned beer next to her):
IMG_0028.jpg

The finished plate, my wife's not mine as mine had no veggies and almost all BBQ (problem was, I finished my plate before I thought to take a picture, so I had to snap one of her's):
IMG_0029.jpg
On the side-plate is the mustard and KC style sauce (her favorite).

It was good and I'm looking forward to cooking it again. Also, I plan on freezing any leftovers and throwing them in my black-eyed peas for New Years.

Happy Holidays, SMF.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky