Pulled Ham on the new Yoder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RevSmoke

Original poster
Mar 2, 2022
Got my Yoder is this week and my first cook was a pulled ham that I’ve had brining for the last 2 weeks in anticipation of the Yoder arrival.

i started with Honey Hog and I used lumberjack pellets and smoked at 190 for an hour to get more smoke, then kicked it up to 250 all day. Periodically spritzed with apple cider vinegar. Around 150 for each (I had two shoulders) I wrapped them. the first in a boat covered with foil, dosed in Apple juice, the second in butcher paper with apple juice. This is where things got interesting. The first in the foil sailed through the stall and gently rose up to about 200. Butt 2 did not move much at all. After an hour or 2 (and a 30 degree difference between the two) I unwrapped it and put it in its own foil boat. It reached about 175 at max, then dropped down to 164. I was baffled. Even had the Yoder up to 500 at one point while I did fondant potatoes. After a whole bag of pellets ran out I pulled the second ham and have it resting now, but I’m very confused by it…

BUT, Ham #1 was incredible. Juicy, tender, and an amazing. Mrs Rev said “I don’t like ham, but this is really really good.” So I’ll take it!

The whole cook was a blast, the Yoder is a game changer, and my first pulled ham was a success! (I’ll update on the second ham later).

oh! And as a bonus, one part of ham #2 broke off so I treated it like a burnt ends. It was SO good.

A878FD83-0613-4464-9CE5-8658482E21C5.jpeg
1B91AD48-93F3-4F08-976E-0BB840D5E8E3.jpeg
E7074B30-5284-4008-B144-144D94570ED5.jpeg

Love it when a plan works out, also every piece of meat has its own mind, temps be danged lol

Looks like a beautiful cook to me! Congrats on the Yoder, you’re doing it some real justice. I’ve had a butt do that to me before, drop temp at the stall and stay there for over an hour, they do some strange things!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky