Pulled chicken ..thighs or whole

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kdfiter

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
Wi
I've been searching the forum and couldnt find what most people use for large amounts of pulled chicken.. thighs or whole chicken

I did thighs one time and wasn’t too impressed. Actually turned out kind of dry but could have been because of user error and too many beers.

Hoping to try whole birds for pulled chicken soon. Did a brined smoked spatchcocked turkey for thanksgiving and it was 10x better than the fried one I did.

Reactions: kdfiter
I've been searching the forum and couldnt find what most people use for large amounts of pulled chicken.. thighs or whole chicken
Maybe I'm to late . This is what I did . Whole bird injected with the veggie stock cure mixture . Smoked , rested and shredded .
20180128_140424.jpg
This is the bird broke down . Legs , thighs and the breast meat .
Stock and cure gives it some color .
20180129_162035.jpg
Makes a great sandwich .
cured.jpg

For me, 99% of the time I use Thighs for eveything containing chicken. The dish, Pulled or otherwise has a consistent texture. Pulled Breast meat like pulled Porkloin has a drier mouthfeel compared to Thighs and Pork Butt. In the long run Price dictates what choice I make. I am not opposed to using either. In area markets, Thighs are usually cheaper, than whole birds, and on sale much more frequently. We like whole 8 lb birds roasted or smoked then carved, 4 lb Fryer/Broilers for Fried Chicken...JJ

For me, 99% of the time I use Thighs for eveything containing chicken. The dish, Pulled or otherwise has a consistent texture. Pulled Breast meat like pulled Porkloin has a drier mouthfeel compared to Thighs and Pork Butt. In the long run Price dictates what choice I make. I am not opposed to using either. In area markets, Thighs are usually cheaper, than whole birds, and on sale much more frequently. We like whole 8 lb birds roasted or smoked then carved, 4 lb Fryer/Broilers for Fried Chicken...JJ
When you do your thighs do you chop and mix skins in with the your pulled chicken..I watched a show where the restaurant takes all the skins after smoking then crisps them up in the oven then chops and mixes

I remove the skin and Crisp them but salt them and serve like cracklin's. Even crisp, a few minutes in the pulled chicken and sauce, makes them soft again. The family does not like the texture...JJ

Either works but I usually use the convection oven, 400 unail done. Air Fryer would probably do a good job...JJ

Reactions: DanMcG
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky