Propane to natural gas convertion

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Maverick67

Original poster
Sep 18, 2021
I have an Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn Combo and I am about to move to a new house that has NG service. I cant find anything on converting this particular grill/ smoker from propane to NG. Both the manufaturer and my wife said don't but I don't always do what I'm told. Wondering if anyone has done this before?

I no longer give advice on how to convert LPG cookers over to NG...sorry.
With that said, you could contact a HVAC contractor, plumber, an outfit that specializes in BBQs/grills or just bite the bullet and buy a dual fuel cooker.

yes it is but if I can just hook it to the house i don't have to fill tanks

M Maverick67 , we are not trying to be Richard Craniums here.
Converting from LPG to NG on a cooker that isn't designed for NG is an involved process.
It isn't as simple as drilling out the orifices.
You make a mistake, it could be a deadly mistake.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Fair enough. If was a simple process I might go forward with it but it sounds a bit more involved. I was just looking for info. Thanks anyways

General picture of orifice location...

Orifice location.png

Orifice sizing chart...
Propane orifices are smaller than NG for the same BTU's..
Resize the orifice to match the BTU's currently in use....

If the propane orifice is a 62 and ~10,100 BTU's, then you would use a 52 orifice for NG and get ~10,000 BTU.....

Using drill size drill bits, you could carefully drill out the orifice....
I would start with a 54 drill and work my way up to the larger drill...

Drill America DWDN52P12 #52 High Speed Steel Black Oxide Drill Bit (Pack of 12), DWDN Series
Brand: Drill America
4.5 out of 5 stars 290 ratings

Amazon'sChoicefor "#52 drill bit"

Price:$8.71 ($0.73 / Each) & FREE Returns
MaterialHigh Speed Steel
Cutting Diameter0.06 Inches
Finish TypeBlack Oxide
Shank TypeRound
BrandDrill America

About this item
  • High-speed steel tools are good for most general purpose applications, offering a combination of hardness and toughness for wear resistance
  • Black oxide treatment adds lubricity and creates small pockets on the surface of the tool that act to hold coolant near the cutting edge
  • Round shanks allow use with a wide variety of toolholding systems
  • When run in a counterclockwise direction (right-hand cut) spiral fluted tools evacuate chips up and out of the cut to reduce clogging
  • Ideal for production, maintenance or portable drilling jobs

orifice sizes2.png

Last edited:
Oh I agree Its a great set up for what I do. My new House has natural gas and it wou;d have been nice to hook up to that and not worry about running out of propane. thats all.

Oh I agree Its a great set up for what I do. My new House has natural gas and it wou;d have been nice to hook up to that and not worry about running out of propane. thats all.

That's understandable.
Always keep a full spare tank on hand.
Refilling tanks really isn't that bad.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky