Propane SmokeHouse Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dave,

Believe it or not I ran the AMNPS without heat in there 3 times and I also ran a row of pelllets through the 12-18" Expandable Tube before I took that pic of the rack hangers.  I dont know how well the smoke is going to stick to that cement board.  

It's sticking...   Just not too thick yet...   maybe close the exhaust down a bit while trying to "break it in"....    I'm thinkin', when you open the door and smell smoke, instead of cement board, you're good to go...

Could be you are good to go now ....  

I do know....   the smokier the inside gets, the better the flavor the meat takes on....   same with BBQ pits....   They did a test in a Texas BBQ joint on TV....   30 yr. old BBQ pit vs. a newly built BBQ pit...   big difference in the flavor...  old pit much better flavor.. 

But I wasn't there...  Not exactly sure what you can believe on TV any longer....  Had I been there.....   I'd probably still be eating Texas Q....

I can definitely smell smoke when I open the door, and I do agree that It will take some time to build up.  Later today when I get home from baseball Im going to light the AMNPS and expandable again, and let it burn all night long.  Ill kill the exhaust this time too. 

Thanks,

Jim

Leave the exhaust open "enough" so you have some airflow for the pellet smokers..   I may have misunderstood your meaning of "kill" the exhaust...

Dave,

I should have stated it clearer than what I did.  I wont kill it, ill restrict it.  On another note I called my buddy who owns a fabricating business and had him make me a grate.  I wasn't able to get a 30x40 grate in through the door and manipulated enough to set it in place so he is going to make (2) 30x20 grates that I can bolt together once they are inside and in place.  Each grate will be 1/8" expanded steel welded to an angle iron surround.  I think I am going to run with Bear's idea and have him make me a small shelf from expanded steel to set the pellet smokers on too.  

Thanks for all the help guys!

Jim

Well, here is a pic of the custom grates.  I am more than pleased with them.  All I need to do now is clamp them in place and throw a few bolts between the two of them to strengthen them.  It will suck taking them apart when I want to hang something from the bars, but it was the only way I could get a full width rack in.  I ordered all the stuff for my burner yesterday and it should be here Friday so I will have more pics when I complete that.

Jim

Never thought of that but thats an easy idea.  I could take one of the dowel rods Im using and cut it in half on the tablesaw.  Problem solved.  Maybe I will do that.  Thanks for the idea.

I had my buddy make me two brackets (one for each wall) that I can lay a 2x4 flat across the front and the shelves will then sit on that instead of bolts.  It will also be easy to take the 2x4 out if I plan on hanging stuff.  Thanks for all of the ideas guys.  I also ordered a 10' stainless steel propane line, high pressure regulator with needle valve and an orifice for the burner.  I plan to put the turkey fryer base/burner in the center and fasten it to the floor.  Once fastened, I am going to make a nice downward curve with the propane line and drill a hole right through the floor to get the propane line outside as soon as possible.  Ill then seal that hole with some high temp RTV silicone.  I figure the sooner I get the propane line outside the smokehouse the better.  

Jim

I had my buddy make me two brackets (one for each wall) that I can lay a 2x4 flat across the front and the shelves will then sit on that instead of bolts.  It will also be easy to take the 2x4 out if I plan on hanging stuff.  Thanks for all of the ideas guys.  I also ordered a 10' stainless steel propane line, high pressure regulator with needle valve and an orifice for the burner.  I plan to put the turkey fryer base/burner in the center and fasten it to the floor.  Once fastened, I am going to make a nice downward curve with the propane line and drill a hole right through the floor to get the propane line outside as soon as possible.  Ill then seal that hole with some high temp RTV silicone.  I figure the sooner I get the propane line outside the smokehouse the better.  

Jim
Hmmm, Sounds to me a lot of Great Smells are going to soon be come to Macungie from the North!!!

Bear

Sure will Bear....I was going to PM you to let you know I found a place locally to get pork bellies.  The guy we get our pigs from in the spring says he always keeps a few on hand for the crazies that want to make their own bacon.  He said 2.99 a pound, which i didnt think was too bad.  If you want the info PM me and I will get it to you.

Jim

Sure will Bear....I was going to PM you to let you know I found a place locally to get pork bellies.  The guy we get our pigs from in the spring says he always keeps a few on hand for the crazies that want to make their own bacon.  He said 2.99 a pound, which i didnt think was too bad.  If you want the info PM me and I will get it to you.

Jim
Thanks Jim,

That's not a bad price.

I'm good with Harry, the small butcher I get my Bellies from.

We've become good friends through my Son taking all his Deer there for processing.

He even gets my Son to show Newbies how to clear the "Aitchbone".

1st day of Buck he usually has a couple hundred deer laying in the Driveway, ready for butchering.

Bear

Well, I removed all of the hardware from the turkey fryer and installed the new orifice on the burner, hose, and regulator with needle valve this weekend.  I think the orifice allows too much gas to get to the burner because one side of the single burner flames higher and if I open the needle valve pretty far when its burning, it will blow out the flame.  may need to look at putting a different burner on there.  Would you guys assume the same?  On another note, I ran the thing for a few hours on Sunday and I need very little flame to get to 225.  Once at 225 I could dial it back a little and maintain 225-230 for hours without touching it.  And I can tell you for sure that it takes very little time to get to 225.  I would estimate 10 minutes, i didnt time it but next time I will.  

Thanks,

Jim

Well, I removed all of the hardware from the turkey fryer and installed the new orifice on the burner, hose, and regulator with needle valve this weekend. I think the orifice allows too much gas to get to the burner because one side of the single burner flames higher and if I open the needle valve pretty far when its burning, it will blow out the flame. may need to look at putting a different burner on there. Would you guys assume the same? On another note, I ran the thing for a few hours on Sunday and I need very little flame to get to 225. Once at 225 I could dial it back a little and maintain 225-230 for hours without touching it. And I can tell you for sure that it takes very little time to get to 225. I would estimate 10 minutes, i didnt time it but next time I will.

Thanks,

Jim
I know nothing about setting up or using Gas burners, but would any of this help you out??

Northern tool has a lot of other Great stuff too---Stuffers, Grinders, and such.

Link:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_food-processing+cooking-stoves-burners

Bear

Last edited:
Thanks Bear.  I looked at one of those burners but I didnt like the idea of opening the door to adjust the 3 burner valves. The way I have it now there is just a needle valve outside the smoker that I can adjust without opening the door.  I actually ordered a different burner from the manufacturer that I got the Regular/hose/orifice/needle valve from and it should be here today.  Im going to swap it and see what happens from there.  I will give an update after I get that done.

Jim

Well, got the new burner, shutter, and spring yesterday.  Works like a charm now!  I can keep a very low flame on the low side and on the high side I think I could incinerate a whole pig.  If anyone is interested, here are the parts I used for the burner.

http://www.bayouclassicstore.com/Replacement_parts/7000.html

http://www.bayouclassicstore.com/Replacement_parts/5235.html

http://www.bayouclassicstore.com/Replacement_parts/BG10.html

Now I just need to get something cooking in there.  I still may need to move the pellet smokers outside though.  Not sure yet, but I may have to.

Jim

Sounds like we're almost ready to chow down!!! 
icon14.gif

popcorn.gif

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky