Propane master built smoker modifications

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Sheed88

Original poster
Nov 15, 2019
Hello,

I’m looking for some ideas and recommendations on my masterbuilt propane vertical 2 door smoker (I think it’s the 230mps model)

I have a cast iron skillet for the wood chips/chunks sitting on a grate, gasket sealed doors, and an ambient thermometer probe. I am planning on getting a 0-30 psi regulator hose and some sort of insulation on the outside(really looking for some advise on this one).

Please let me know what you guys think and if I need anything else

Thanks

Murray, morning.... Some sites need to be "massaged" to get them to show on the forum...
When you click on the URL next to the padlock, wrap it in this... 2019-11-21.png
Name the item you want to post ...
You will end up with what I put in my post #3....

Last edited:
I was like you with MB gasser and contemplated the mods but on whim found a Black Friday deal for MES30 for $99 and pulled the trigger. So happy I did and ended up selling the gasser. BTW BJs is doing the $99 Black Friday deal this year...

Propane is generally regulated to 11" W.C. .... Water Column... That equates to ~ 1/2 PSI... They don't want high pressure in your home... Natural Gas is generally regulated from 4-7" WC...
From the chart you can see a 0.040" hole will allow for11,175 BTU... That's at 1/2 psi....
Any of that make sense ???

Attachments

• 1574386259776.png
    1574386259776.png
    205.5 KB · Views: 58
Propane is generally regulated to 11" W.C. .... Water Column... That equates to ~ 1/2 PSI... They don't want high pressure in your home... Natural Gas is generally regulated from 4-7" WC...
From the chart you can see a 0.040" hole will allow for11,175 BTU... That's at 1/2 psi....
Any of that make sense ???
The chart makes sense, however The whole what is considered low pressure vs high pressure regulator is driving me nuts. My first regulator was rated at 0-30PSI and was too sensitive trying to maintain a smoker temp at 225F but I could get my smoker main chamber up to 380F when I seasoned it but it had a blue and yellow sooty flames at all temperatures. I went to a low pressure regulator Non adjustable with my orifice valve and now I can adjust my temperature easily and stable from very low to maxed out about 250F on a hot day but no higher. would the 0-20 regulator you provided a link to give me both a blue clean flame plus higher temperatures so I can smoke chicken and turkey etc? or do I need a larger burner with multi zone controlled with valves plus the regulator to get get both clean stable high and low temps?

Does your low pressure regulator say what the pressure is ??? That should let you know what the variable pressure regulator will do...
May I suggest using the oven in your kitchen for higher than 250... That's what I do... Great temp control..

Does your low pressure regulator say what the pressure is ??? That should let you know what the variable pressure regulator will do...
May I suggest using the oven in your kitchen for higher than 250... That's what I do... Great temp control..
That is what I have been doing but I would like the smoker to be capable of at minimum 350F for times when we have no power from storms or do not want to use the oven making the house hotter in the heat of the summer. I was going to insulate the the smoker main chamber then see where it can get to before making any changes.

Hey guys I know this is an old thread....but i am new to the game and was reading along and have the same smoker. I am having trouble keeping a low temp and stable temp in it. Would changing the regulator help? Also how big off a job is changing the regulator? What is a needle valve and what improvement would be made if I added one? Lastly how do I tell what mycurrent regulator is?

Low pressure regulator, needle valve and modify the burner so it has 1/4 - 1/2 the number of gas holes....

Burner BTU reductiion4.png

Burner BTU reductiion2.JPG

Burner BTU reductiion.JPG

Doing that, you will still get a fairly tall flame that shouldn't flame out, and significantly reduce the heat output....

Reactions: 96Romeo
I don't know if you can see it now or not. It is from Amazon "bayou classic M5HPR-1 10psi Hose/regulator valve assembly"

Yep.... that will work....

Depending on the type of burner you have, plug up to 3/4 of the holes.... The holes you will be using, keep them close together so the flame will ignite successive holes and keep each other lit... it's a symbiotic thing....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky