Propane Fridge/Freezer Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ShortCut1

Original poster
Feb 18, 2019
I had a stick burner and currently have a Master Built Sportsman Elite propane unit. It was cheap, is easy to operate, does a decent job etc but is rusting out and temp control is a hassle when cold or raining. As expected...
Considering building a fridge smoker using vintage fridge using existing or similar Master Built components since everything except the box is surprisingly good.
What is the life expectancy of a fridge build? Advice on improving the fridge box? Looking through the forum I have not found any propane discussions for a build. Is the propane heat the primary cause of rusting out the box?
If there is a good post please post the link!

Last edited:
probably cant get it turned down enuf to run propane,the fridge builds take very little heat for the most part,a electric is normally the choice for the fridge build,I have seen several over the years that used a hot plate with a cast iron skillet setting on it with the wood or chips ,not saying it cant be done but might be more $ and labor intensive

Reactions: ShortCut1
I have a fridge smoker. Mine is a straight stick burner and runs very efficiently. Never seen one with propane. My stepdad has had his fridge smoker like mine, for about 30 years. It’s been Frankenstein’d over the years but still smoking with it. I’m gonna be building a smoker from cement cinder blocks this summer. More volume, cheap to make & still a stick burner.

Try putting in a pellet burner. That's what I did. Works awesome. The whole build was less than $400 with a GMG WiFi controller. Email me if you need more info.

I have a fridge smoker. Mine is a straight stick burner and runs very efficiently. Never seen one with propane. My stepdad has had his fridge smoker like mine, for about 30 years. It’s been Frankenstein’d over the years but still smoking with it. I’m gonna be building a smoker from cement cinder blocks this summer. More volume, cheap to make & still a stick burner.
Was yours old enough to worry about lead paint? I’m wanting to do a vintage fridge build but not sure what to do in the case of lead paint.

No. Mine was porcelain over metal in the inside.
What year and make was your fridge? Sorry to bother I’ve just got one I’m looking at. Hard to run a lead test on one I don’t own unless there is an easier way to tell it’s all porcelain. If there were chips inside you’d probably be able to tell. Thanks for the reply

What year and make was your fridge? Sorry to bother I’ve just got one I’m looking at. Hard to run a lead test on one I don’t own unless there is an easier way to tell it’s all porcelain. If there were chips inside you’d probably be able to tell. Thanks for the reply

It was easy to tell it was porcelain because when we cut into it for the exhaust . Porcelain chips

It was easy to tell it was porcelain because when we cut into it for the exhaust . Porcelain chips
1950’s era Crosley Shelvador is what mine was

A2078D8F-B2E9-448C-92EE-D0DEAC3F4E42.jpeg
54ED69ED-511D-4EDF-BEBF-AE1C18528676.jpeg

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky